9.3.1 Update with alert Firmware version 16 does not match driver version 20 for /dev/mps0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Normal behavior, mine does the same thing. Eliminate the boot rom and you won't have to worry about that scaring you any more. ;)

STREBLO

Patron
Normal behavior, mine does the same thing. Eliminate the boot rom and you won't have to worry about that scaring you any more. ;)

So in Supermicro's script they have:

Code:
echo -off
sas2flash.efi -o -e 7
cls
sas2flash.efi -f 2308T204.ROM
sas2flash.efi -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flash.efi -b x64sas2.rom
cls
sas2flash.efi -o -sasaddhi 5003048

should I just eliminate the mptsas2.rom?

and do this:

Code:
echo -off
sas2flash.efi -o -e 7
cls
sas2flash.efi -f 2308T204.ROM
sas2flash.efi -b x64sas2.rom
cls
sas2flash.efi -o -sasaddhi 5003048

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Yes or just remove the mptsas2.rom file from the folder before you flash. That's what I did and it still worked.

STREBLO

Patron
Yes or just remove the mptsas2.rom file from the folder before you flash. That's what I did and it still worked.
Attempting, stand by...

STREBLO

Patron
Disks appearing in FreeNAS! No boot message :)

What is mptsas2.rom for?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Disks appearing in FreeNAS! No boot message :)

What is mptsas2.rom for?
To configure IR mode and to allow booting from drives attached to the card.

There's also a UEFI version, which I haven't been able to convince anyone to try yet, even though I'd really like to see how it works.

solarisguy

Guru
I was under the impression that BIOS can be flashed to the card, but one should disable booting from the card.

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I was under the impression that BIOS can flashed to the card, but one should disable booting from the card.

The card's rom file (BIOS) will start right after mobo BIOS and you can enter
the cards configuration settings with a certain keystroke (usually "control+h" or something like that).
The cards settings allow you to make choices for which device/drive to boot.
If the card is flashed without the ROM file, the boot sequence is bypassed (read faster).
Most people use the card as dumb hba and therefore the boot ROM is eliminated on purpose
to speed the FreeNAS boot time.

solarisguy

Guru
The card's rom file (BIOS) will start right after mobo BIOS and you can enter
the cards configuration settings with a certain keystroke (usually "control+h" or something like that).
The cards settings allow you to make choices for which device/drive to boot.
If the card is flashed without the ROM file, the boot sequence is bypassed (read faster).
Most people use the card as dumb hba and therefore the boot ROM is eliminated on purpose
to speed the FreeNAS boot time.
I see... Thank you! I did not make the connection.

However, I have a good reason to go into the card configuration settings! :D

I went into mine and changed it to start only one disk at a time (the default is two). That allows me to have additional disks in the system during the upgrades, but having a regular (not oversized) power supply.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I see... Thank you! I did not make the connection.

However, I have a good reason to go into the card configuration settings! :D

I went into mine and changed it to start only one disk at a time (the default is two). That allows me to have additional disks in the system during the upgrades, but having a regular (not oversized) power supply.
That's cool, most RAID cards do have config for staggered spinup. That's an excellent reason for keeping the ROM :cool:

Last edited:

slayerx

Cadet
Using the FreeBSD sas2flash executable (which is part of the FreeNAS base) worked just fine for me once I'd installed the 9.3.1 update (I'm guessing it wouldn't do the flash before the update because I was still running the P16 driver?). Here's what I did:
  • Download pclausen's P20.zip file and unzip it somewhere on the pool
  • Install the FreeNAS update and reboot
  • SSH in to the box as root, and navigate to where I'd unzipped P20.zip
  • sas2flash -fwall 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
  • Reboot
This was with an M1015 that was already cross-flashed to IT mode with the P16 firmware. No need to boot from USB sticks, into EFI shells, etc.

These are, without a doubt, the simplest instructions for updating the card. Thanks!

prod

Dabbler
Hi Everyone

there is alot pages to go through but does anyone have a simple step by step procedure on how to update LSI SAS 9211-8i to version 20. I just bought a new server and i am getting this warning.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Hi Everyone

there is alot pages to go through but does anyone have a simple step by step procedure on how to update LSI SAS 9211-8i to version 20. I just bought a new server and i am getting this warning.
This was my experience, step by step.
But, I'm gonna have to charge you $25 for finding it for you :p

solarisguy

Guru
@prod, I am assuming a single controller card is present in the system.

The steps are for a controller type SAS9211-8i and Firmware Version 20.00.04.00, only.

Download, then copy files 2118it.bin and mptsas2.rom to /tmp
Stop sharing services and jails that use your volume(s).
Export the volume/s (pool/s).

Open an SSH session to use CLI, use shell in the console or shell in the Web GUI if you have to...

# go to the place the firmware and BIOS files are
cd /tmp

# Verify that there is only one controller (controller number 0) to be updated
sas2flash -listall

# details about the controller being updated (shows type IR or IT and the current version),
# write down the SAS Address,
#
stop if Firmware Product ID is IR
sas2flash -c 0 -list

# erasing the BIOS, do not reboot after this command
sas2flash -c 0 -o -e 6

# write the new firmware and BIOS
sas2flash -c 0 -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

# program back the SAS Address, use only numbers and letters, omit - (do not use 0000000000000000!)
sas2flash -c 0 -o -sasadd 0000000000000000

# verify the updated card (controller)
sas2flash –listall

Reboot.
Import the volume/s (pool/s).
Start sharing services and jails that use your volume(s).

Last edited:

lopr

Explorer
[...] I have talked to AsRock Rack on behalf of FreeNAS users and they are working on a P20.00.04 that is compatible with FreeNAS 9.3.1. [...]

Does anyone know if there's any news regarding AsRock and their firmware?

j_r0dd

Contributor
Does anyone know if there's any news regarding AsRock and their firmware?
I posted the 2308 firmware earlier in this thread for the E3C224D4I-14S if that's what your board is.

AlVal

Dabbler
Is there a way I can test my current setup (FreeNas 9.3.1 with SM FW 20.00.02.00) for issues concerning the probably "faulty" firmware? What errors might I expect?

Currently everything runs smoothly. I'm thinking about going back to FreeNas 9.3.0 and SM FW 16.

the issue with 20.00.02.00, at least when it comes to my sas2308 based lsi 9207-8e is clearly stated in the pdfs that come inside the package when you download the newer 20.00.04.00 firmware directly from LSI and look at the changelog. Interestingly I don't see the same thing mentioned when looking at their download pack for 9211-8i (m1015), but even still this may be relevant (I don't think the sas2308 chips are that different from the sas2008 chips other than cpu speed?). There are 2x pdfs, one called sas2bios_phase20.0-7.39.0.0.pdf and one called sas2flash_phase20.0-20.00.00.00.pdf. the sas2flash changelog file says no change, but the sas2bios changelog file indicates the below change

HEADLINE: SATA drive errors or bad performance after update to 20.00.02.00 firmware

DESC OF CHANGE: If 0 is found in the appropriate ManPage11 field, use the controller default value instead of 0.

TO REPRODUCE: Upgrade controller to 20.00.02.00 and run IOs. A large number of 0x31080000 LogInfo codes will probably be recorded by the system.

ISSUE DESC: If ManPage11 is modified by BIOS or various tools while running earlier versions of firmware, flashing 20.00.02.00 firmware won't update ManPage11 with the proper default value for the parameter that controls the number of Sata Holds the HW is allowed to send. If not updated, the value should be 0, which results in a value too small for proper operation.

Last edited:

solarisguy

Guru
@crusader3k4, since you have the card in the IT mode you can easily move between the firmware versions. So play as you wish. However, the version 20.00.02.00 was superseded by 20.00.04.00 firmware for a reason, and I would not use 20.00.02.00 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.