9.2.1.1 Is there a way to reduce frequency of Critical Alert Messages (3min)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jafin

Explorer
I've just upgraded from 8.2 to 9.2.1.1. I have email configured as I prefer to get the daily summary report. But I am also now getting a warning EVERY 3 MINUTES notifying me:

The capacity for the volume 'tank2' is currently at 98%, while the recommended value is below 80%.

That is great and all but every 3 minutes is a tad annoying, given that to fix this situation I am resilvering the entire array which is currently taking 5 days.

Is there a way to keep emails but reduce the critical warning frequency to mayby once a day?

enemy85

Guru
You really have your volume filled at 98%??? That's can be a BIG problem!

marcevan

Patron
I think he gets that and is resilvering but the every 3 min while that's going on is a touch overkill.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd drop into IRC and ask how to change that value. That's a new feature for 9.2.1 or 9.2.1.1(not sure which).

jafin

Explorer
EDIT: Nope it's still emailing every few minutes, thought I nailed it after doing the below.

Not sure if this is the right way, but I was able to get the 5 min (not 3) warning reset to every 12 hrs by doing the following:

# mount -o rw /dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a /
# nano /conf/base/etc/crontab

Edit the line
*/5 * * * * root /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/alert.py > /dev/null 2>&1
to
0 */12 * * * root /usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/www/freenasUI/tools/alert.py > /dev/null 2>&1
I then ran
# /etc/rc.d/cron restart
but that didn't reset it, a reboot of the system did though.

Scharbag

Guru
I too would like a way to disable the 80% warning. Or at the least, silence it once acknowledged. The blinking yellow light scares me and I keep checking if I have a drive issue or not. I know it is not a good idea to over fill the zpool but in my case, it is just a backup volume and it will be a bit before I can fix the issue.

Please let me know if there is a way to silence the warning.

Cheers,

RealJavaD

Cadet
I too would like a way to disable the 80% warning. Or at the least, silence it once acknowledged. The blinking yellow light scares me and I keep checking if I have a drive issue or not. I know it is not a good idea to over fill the zpool but in my case, it is just a backup volume and it will be a bit before I can fix the issue.

Please let me know if there is a way to silence the warning.

Cheers,

I also have started getting this message in my case it is only filled to 83 % considering it is a backup volume as well. I planned it would take months to approach even 95% this new 80% warning is gonna drive me crazy. the entire volume was made the size it was to "fit" for long term storage you would think there must be a way to adjust the threshold for both the size and frequency of the warning. Just my two cents.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
I just started to get these alerts this morning. I have my mythtv recordings storage on a Raid1 array in the NAS. Because this is the only thing that is on those disks I'm not entirely worried about it and Myth is set to always keep 15GB free and it does a good job of dumping off the old ones. But this morning I was slammed with over 100 emails from the NAS about the storage of the drive. I ended up just logging in and unchecking the alert for the drive and that seems to have silenced it for now.

Zohaib

Dabbler
I have same issue i have freeNAS 9.2.1.5, can anybody explain about it. I already have short of capacity, right now i am at 81% but i know in few day it will up to 95%. there is any issue i will face after 95% or i just ignore this warning.
I just want to Know is this warning is ignorable or not??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
At 95% your data will become heavily fragmented as ZFS will change "write modes" to maximize space instead of maximize performance. Since ZFS has no defrag tool said data will be fragmented forever. This could seriously impact performance over the long term.

If you plan to keep your pool at 95% full for the long haul you need to spend some money to expand your pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.