80% disk capacity warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liriel

Dabbler
I have a pool that will contain relatively stationary data; it will change very little on a daily or even monthly basis. Therefore, I plan to run the pool at greater than 80% capacity. However, I keep getting warnings say that my pool exceeds the 80% threshold.

Is there a way to specify a different capacity threshold for this warning? Barring that, can I disable that message?

This question was also asked at the end of this thread. However, it was not related to the OP's question, so thought I would start a new thread rather than hijack that one.

duk242

Cadet
I'm having the same issue. If you disable the alert in the FreeNAS alerts thingy (Red Flashing Icon in the top right), it seems to stop emailing you.

The drive I'm using is a 1tb external drive attached to my NAS (not a part of my main raid) that I'm using as a time machine backup for my Mac, so it's supposed to be at ~90% usage and deletes older backups as it goes.

Doogie

Dabbler
I want to disable this warning as well, or better, to set it at 90% or 95%. Developers, can you please make this a user-defined setting from the GUI, or provide instructions for disabling the warning? Thank you.

gpsguy

Instructions for disabling the warning was in the message above yours. The developers don't read the forums, if you'd like to suggest a new feature, you need to submit it via their bug tracking system: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Submit_Bug_Reports

That being said, allowing users to set it to 95% would probably create even more headaches. We have a forum user right now who ran out of space. After 2+ days, he still can't use his system. He's got ~70,000 snapshots.

On the otherhand, the recommendation for those using iSCSI is not to exceed 50-60% of their pool. One might suggest that having a user-defined setting that allowed one to set a lower threshold might be helpful for them.

At the end of the day, as a FreeNAS admininstrator, you should be monitoring usage so you don't get into trouble.

Doogie

Dabbler
Thanks so much for your response. You make valid points about the importance of not running a FreeNAS system at near capacity.

However, as I understand duk242's answer, we only have the ability to turn off ALL alerts through the GUI. I don't want to do that--only the free space warning. I depend on the blinking yellow or red light when a disk throws an error, or some critical warning arises requiring a resilver or other intervention. I currently have a 60 TB system at 81% capacity which shouldn't fill by more than a few percentage points over the next year, and I can't/won't upgrade it until then. Again, any specific command to modify or turn the free space warning off?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can disable individual alerts, a trick I just learned. In the FreeNAS GUI, click on the flashing yellow light. Up will come all the alerts; each will have a checkbox next to it. Uncheck the alert(s) you don't want to see any more, and close that window. It'll look like the attachment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 9.16.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 9.16.43 AM.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 917

Doogie

Dabbler
Excellent! This answers my question. Quick community support, and intelligent decisions by the developers to give users control over warnings like this, makes FreeNAS *the* best storage solution for everything from home to enterprise usage. THANK YOU for such a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.