9.10 installation failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo444

Explorer
Dear Professionals;

I'm trying to install 9.10 version from scratch, but I've gotten an error message of source USB. I am booting up from USB which has iso image and is going to be installed to USB 3.0. I tried to do the image to 4GB USB and 8GB USB memory stick, but both of them have gotten the same error.

da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0 CAM status: CCB request completed with an error
Error5, Retries exhausted

I really appreciate if you have any hints for this.

Regards,

bravo444

Explorer
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm using new 8GB or 16GB USB stick actually. But both of sticks have the same error when I boot from them.
9.10 can not be installed from scratch?? Or I will need to install 9.3 first and then upgrade to 9.10?

Regards,

gpsguy

No need to install 9.3 first, one can install 9.10 from the start.

Try them in a USB 2.0 port. If that doesn't work, see if you can boot them on a different machine.

Please provide detailed hardware information.

bravo444

Explorer
Hello,

I am trying to install from USB2.0 port. BTW, I also found that Timecounter "TSC-low" frequency before error message of CCB request completed with an error. Here is the hard ware info.

CPU: Core i7
Memory: 16GB
Hard drive: 3TBx6 (WD red)
MB: Asrock z68 professional gen3

BTW, this machine has been running on 9.10 version. The Freenas has been upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10.
Now, I just want to install 9.10 to USB3.0 memory stick, but it has been failed on boot image....
I mean, this machine run on USB 2.0, but I want to change to USB3.0.

Regards,

bravo444

Explorer
Hi,

I tried to use and boot from CD, but the error was the same. I got this like "CAM status: CDB request completed with an error.
The ISO image is clean or something like curruption?!

Regards,

joeschmuck

Old Man
BTW, this machine has been running on 9.10 version. The Freenas has been upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10.
Now, I just want to install 9.10 to USB3.0 memory stick, but it has been failed on boot image....
I mean, this machine run on USB 2.0, but I want to change to USB3.0.
Lets backup a little...

You are saying you can and have installed 9.10 on a USB 2.0 stick on a USB 2.0 port and it works?
You are trying to install on a USB 3.0 Flash drive using a USB 3.0 port and it fails?

My advice, install on the USB 3.0 flash drive while it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port. If that fails then try to install 9.10 on a USB 2.0 flash drive in a USB 2.0 port. If that fails then something is either wrong with the way you are installing the software or you just have very bad luck with getting failed hardware. Using the CD method generally takes all the guess work out of doing the installation so I'd stick with that.

EDIT: And in all honesty, if it's quicker to install 9.3 and then upgrade to 9.10, I'd do that but it would be nice if you submitted a bug report on the problem if that method is the only way to get the job done.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Now, the summary is as follows.

1. I upgraded 9.3 to 9.10 on that machine, but Freenas run on USB2.0 with USB2.0 port. Anyway, the machine and 9.10 is running good.
2. Now, I want to try to install FressNAS 9.10 to USB3.0. In this case, I shut machine down and copy image to USB2.0 stick memory( 8GB or 16GB) and insert it into USB 2.0 port on machine. Also, I insert USB3.0 memory stick (16GB) into USB3.0 port on machine.
However, it was failed even if I changed new USB stick.
3. I also tried to use CD media, but it was failed with the same error like USB memory stick.

I will try to boot from 9.3, but I am wondering where I can find it on FreeNAS site. Do you know about this?

Regards,

joeschmuck

Old Man
My next advice is to do the same thing again except place that USB 3.0 Flash drive into a USB 2.0 port to create it. Once it's created and you shut the machine down, boot it from the USB 2.0 port, ensure it works. Next, I still think USB 3.0 is disabled by default, I don't recall but then place it in the USB 3.0 port and boot up your system. If it boots then you are doing well. Next check to see if USB 3.0 support is enabled. See the FreeNAS 9.10 user guide.

EDIT: Forgot the user guide link
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html#compact-or-usb-flash

Also, I'd offline for the evening likely. Got some TV to watch.

bravo444

Explorer
Hi, Joeschmuck,

Thanks for your good advice ;) I finally got 9.10... I tried to unplug USB3.0 and boot from USB2.0 (image). After that, I tried to plug USB3.0 USB memory stick. It worked!

Again, thank you!

I hope you had a pretty good TV program ;)

Cheers!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Glad you got it working. Nope, TV kept me up too late, 5 hours of sleep just isn't enough for this old timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.