9.1 GUI Upgrade, zpool upgrade, LZ4 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
Hi,

I did the GUI upgrade, which seems to have gone fine. I upgraded form 8.3.1 and zpool version 28. After I upgraded the system, I did the zpool upgrade, but no version shows now when I type: zpool get version MAIN. Is this normal?

I set one of my datasets to LZ4 compression, but it doesn't appear to be working and the compression ratio is x 1.0. I'm not sure how to change the ratio or if that's possible? I looked around for a few hours yesterday but couldn't find the answer. I'm trying to compress a volume that holds MKV files.
Update: Compression does work, but not on mkv files.

fracai

Guru
FreeNAS 9 now aborts compression if a block is not reduced by 12% or more (I think that's the right percentage threshold). Also, changing a compression setting only has an effect on new blocks, existing data is not rewritten.

DoubleIPA

Explorer
FreeNAS 9 now aborts compression if a block is not reduced by 12% or more (I think that's the right percentage threshold). Also, changing a compression setting only has an effect on new blocks, existing data is not rewritten.
I tested by transferring files to another machine and then deleting and replacing them, but it doesn't work on Matroska files.

I'm not sure why zpool get version isn't showing any version, just a -.

fracai

Guru
Yeah, video data is already compressed. Transferring off and back on is going to trigger the compression algorithms, but its still not going to compress enough to warrant writing out the compressed blocks. That's the point of the early snort feature of compression. Try with a dump from /dev/random and you'll see it's not compressing that either.

brbubba

Dabbler
Mine won't show a version either with that command and doing "upgrade -v" also doesn't show an explicit version, simply which feature flags are supported. I'm assuming this is now normal???

Whattteva

Wizard
Mine actually doesn't show a version number either, just a '-'.
It used to show zfs version number until I upgraded the pool.
I just chalked it up to '-' meaning "most current" lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.