8.0 > 8.3.2 should i zpool upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

codenamezero

Explorer
So finally got around and got the 8.3.2 running, now when I login, the alert show me that i should zpool upgrade.

Before I do that, I just want to know would i risk loose anything data?

codenamezero

Explorer
Actually, just web upgraded 8.3.2 to 9.2.1, but question remains the same for the zpool thing...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, there is no going back once you do it. So only do the upgrade once you are 100% sure that there are no bugs that are going to make you wish you didn't do the upgrade. Personally, I would have upgraded your zpool with 8.3.2 to v28, then upgraded to 9.2.1 and left the pool at v28. I'm still at v28 and I have no intention of upgrading right now or in the near future. You can't upgrade to v28 with 9.2.1. You can only upgrade to v5000.

codenamezero

Explorer
o..k... so can i downgrade it back to 8.3.2 then do that upgrade? what is the command line to trigger the upgrade?
and what is the risk involved?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
yes, you could go back to 8.3.2 by installing it on another USB stick.

the command is something like:

zpool upgrade poolname.

The risk is that if your pool has some kind of corruption it could in theory make things much worse. I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with a pool upgrade, but in theory it is possible. Your best course of action would be to do a scrub first, then if everything works out do the zpool upgrade.

codenamezero

Explorer
I see the scrub option in 9.2.1 as well, can I just scrub in 9.2.1 then try to upgrade it in 8.3.2?

Thank you for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.