8.0.1 RC displays SAMBA Shares on my sidebar on Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrema2

Explorer
Hi all,

After I upgraded my FreeNas to 8.0.1 RC, if the AFP service is started on the sidebar in finder besides the AFP server name there is another icon named "Samba Shares on My NAS Server". If I try to access I get an error message, probably because I don't have CIFS shares available. The question is, why do I see this Samba share since I don't have one set up ? Isn't it a bug ?

Michael Mielko

Dabbler
You know, I am wondering about that too.. would be nice ... if when you clicked a box and when yoy set up An AFP share it set up a mirror in a CIFS share so allmy macs and windows 7 machines sees things the first time ....

mattkapp

Cadet
I'm seeing this as well with an upgraded install to 8.0.1 RC. I don't have any Samba shares setup either. Just AFP and I'm on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

Skychaser

Cadet
Just upgraded to 8.0.1 RC and was having this issue as well. I think the problem is that avahi-daemon is loading both the AFP and CIFS service files regardless of which one is on.

I'm not really 100% sure on how avahi works, but my assumption is this: It uses these service files, which are just simple xml documents, for information on what servers/protocols it should be broadcasting to the network and since it's loading both files instead of just what's been enabled it's broadcasting using both AFP and CIFS. Hence why you're seeing both servers even though CIFS isn't enabled. I could be wrong, but this seems to make sense.

The fix? Get rid of the 'cifs.service' file avahi-daemon is loading. I meant to simply rename mine, but rm came out before mv. Meh, no big deal. I don't use Windows anyways. Now, when toggling the AFP service off and on, only my AFP server shows up. I'm sure there's probably a better solution out there, but this worked just fine for me.

The 'cifs.service' file is located here:
/conf/base/etc/local/avahi/services

Hope that helps!

mattkapp

Cadet
Thanks so much! Glad to know it's not just me. I'll probably hold off in hopes that the next build fixes things. Thanks again!

N

Nuno Martins

Just need to edit de file "cifs.service" on /conf/base/etc/local/avahi/services, and change de field port 139 with 445.

N

Nuno Martins

If any one can inform the developers with this, to be changed on base files...

Richard

Cadet
Unfortunately, this does not appear to be fixed with the 8.01 release. I only have AFP and SSH turned on in my FreeNAS-8.0.1-RELEASE-amd64 install and I still see the Samba share in my Lion sidebar.

G

gcooper

It isn't. It was one of the things I've documented in the errata that will be officially fixed in 8.1, or if you apply the patch noted in the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.