6 of 11 drives resilvering and then crashing with reboot

pro lamer

Guru
What is your power supply?

Sent from my phone

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
and Asmedia controllers
What specific model of controller? I suspect this is your problem, not your new hardware. Moving drives around to different SATA ports shouldn't matter as long as FreeNAS has direct access to the drives.

DCswitch

Explorer
@pro lamer - I have multiple power supplies. I have tested two different ones and the computer crashed on both (600 watt), so I don't suspect it's the PSU. I have ordered two more (an 850 watt Gold) and I intend to wire the HDD's to a separate PSU that won't turn off, so if the computer crashes/reboots the HDD's will still keep spinning.

@Jailer My hardware is listed in my signature. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment because this happened whether I was using the Asmedia controller or the LSI controller.

Before I do anything else- I was thinking about buying 11 new identical HDD's and cloning the current drives to them. Is this possible? I was wondering if you could do a sector-to-sector copy (done by dd) in Clonezilla. Is this possible or does FreeNAS match an ID (gptid for example) to an HDD's serial number? If I can clone them- then I have no problem experimenting on the cloned drives until I solve this.

pro lamer

Guru
@pro lamer - I have multiple power supplies. I have tested two different ones and the computer crashed on both (600 watt), so I don't suspect it's the PSU.
I was wondering if flashing or changing the controllers affected staggered spinup..

Or if new controller overwhelmed +5V or +3.3V rails...It was just a wild guess

Sent from my phone

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
@Jailer My hardware is listed in my signature. I'm not sure I agree with your assessment because this happened whether I was using the Asmedia controller or the LSI controller.
Well it's not all listed in your signature and it does matter. Good luck figuring it out.

pro lamer

Guru
Asmedia controller
Unless the asmedia one damaged your drives somehow. I doubt it did but I'm not experienced enough to rule it out.

Moving drives around to different SATA ports shouldn't matter as long as FreeNAS has direct access to the drives
Are you sure? As I mentioned already some of the pool members don't use gptid identifiers...

Sent from my phone

DCswitch

Explorer
Well it's not all listed in your signature and it does matter. Good luck figuring it out.
The only thing not listed is the Asmedia controller, but I'm not going to use that anymore. The LSI SAS is far superior.

DCswitch

Explorer
I'm wondering is there another way to get answers to my questions- is there a ticket I can submit or something?

DCswitch

Explorer
My new (used) hardware:
Supermicro X9SRL-F Motherboard Socket Socket LGA2011 (updated firmware)
Intel Xeon E5-2603 v2 CPU
128 GB Samsung ECC DDR3 memory
11 WD 8TB NAS HDDs (shucked from external enclosures)
LSI SAS 9207-8i firmware 20 IT mode
IBM SAS Expander 46M0997 firmware 364a

DCswitch

Explorer
Can someone please help? The good news is five of the eleven drives were not resilvering, so I'd like to pinpoint which drives they are exactly. Can someone tell me how to match the GPTID to the serial number of the drive? That way I can try to re-order the six resilvering ones.

ethereal

Guru
Can someone please help? The good news is five of the eleven drives were not resilvering, so I'd like to pinpoint which drives they are exactly. Can someone tell me how to match the GPTID to the serial number of the drive? That way I can try to re-order the six resilvering ones.

use - glabel status to identify drives and use

smartctl -a /dev/ada5 | grep "Serial Number"

to get the serial numbers - obviously change the dev to what you find in glabel status