SOLVED Problem Seeing all drives 24 drives can only see 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

IIMKI

Cadet
Hi All,
New FreeNAS 11 user running amok. I was running FreeNAS 11 on 3 different machines each with 8 drives. Wanted to consolidate them into 1 machine. I went out and bought a Norco RPC-4224 (24 drive slots) and an Intel RES2SV240 expander. Supermicro LGA1150 Main Board Motherboard X10SLH-F 48gig memory

I am having problems seeing all the drives. The most I can see is 8. Not sure what else to do to get this working. Here is what I have done so far:
LSI 9211-8i is flashed for IT mode it is from one of my FreeNAS machines, it seems to be working fine. The expander is new. All new 8087 cables 1 meter in length. New case with 24 drive slots.

Tried connecting the HBA to the expander with 1 and 2 8087 cables not all drives show up but if you test each drive slot with the same drive you can see them all. At a loss on what else that I can do to make it work. Any help would be appreciated. As it sits now I don't know which way to go to fix it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Something to try: in the Supermicro BIOS, turn off the optrom option for the PCIE slot where the controller is located.

IIMKI

Cadet
Is this on the HBA bios (if installed) or FreeNAS?

Ok sorry for taking up your time. I figured out what the issue was.
When I started this post I was very frustrated. Should have just walked away and come back later.
The server is working fine and the problem is the user, I had 3 bad drives and did not realize it.....
I removed the port expander to simplify the my setup. Installed 3 LSI 9211-8i SAS HBA cards then started from square one.
I am a very new user to BSD and FreeNAS.
This was my first time posting and will try to do a better job in the future.
The server is up and running with 16 3tb drives installed
If you are interested here is a list of what is in the my setup.

FreeNAS 11.1-U2 running on:
1. SuperMicro Motherboard X10SLH-F
1. Intel Xeon E3-1275L
4. x8GB 240pin PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz Unbuffered ECC Memory Supermicro H8DCL
3. LSI SAS 9211-8i hba cards flashed to IT mode and direct connected to the backplane
1. Norco RPC-4224 Server Case
16. HGST Ultrastar 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5"Internal Hard Drive
1. Corsair AX1200 powersuppy

any helpful advice is always welcome (newbie trying to learn more)

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
How did you get three bad drives out of sixteen? Were these "white label" drives?

IIMKI

Cadet
The bad drives were some spare drives that I had used before. (not new)
The were WD red's 3tb
Worked in windows before I started putting the server together I assumed that they were good my mistake. With 8 drives installed and connected to 1 LSI SAS 9211-8i hba which was connected to the intel sas port expander I was getting weird results (seemed that I could only see some of the drives not all of them) I assumed that is was a cabling issue and proceeded to check all of them. (Started pulling my hair out) To many assumptions were made by me.nothing wrong with the SAS card motherboard memory or cables, problem was the assumptions that I made when I was looking for the problem. Oh well live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.