Norco DS-24H, Areca 8028-24, LSI 9300-8e - No drives spin up

Status
Not open for further replies.

R H

Cadet
The problem: NONE of the drives power up.

I am very new to FreeNAS.

Our company recently bought a Norco DS-24H -- it's a SAS enclosure (24 bay) that comes with an Areca 8028-24 SAS Expander. Inside another box is the LSI 9300-8e SAS HBA.

When I turn on the enclosure, the SAS Expander powers up, and FreeNAS reports the device being created to handle the JBOD-- likewise, if I pull the cable, FreeNAS reports the peripheral has been destroyed.

The Drives: Seagate 6TB Enterprise 12GB/s SAS drives.

I could see perhaps one of the "cards" that the drives mount to being bad, and so perhaps that row of drives might not power up-- but NONE of them power up.

The power board inside the machine shows okay.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I feel like I have searched every possible combination of "no spin up" "no spin-up" "areca 8028" "norco no drive power", etc etc etc.

What I have tried:

1) Removing all but one drive.

2) Swapping the one drive for another drive, and another and another.

3) Reset configuration on the expander to default.

4) Reset configuration on the HBA to default.

5) Reseat all power cables.

I can provide photos of the enclosure if desired. The construction seems pretty straightforward.

marbus90

Guru
I'd get a Supermicro 846BE1C-R1K28B and cross-check with that one, also maybe a 9300-8i card. Norco really isn't recommended, especially not with an Areca expander and a single PSU.

R H

Cadet
I've already got the 9300-8i card... I've been trying to find the exact model that you advised-- but I can't seem to find a supplier for it in the US.

The only place I found, the equipment was $1,600 (US) and the overnight shipping was also $1,600(US)

I've spent all night on this thing-- and I'm not any closer than I was yesterday-- so I think it's time to turn those labor $ into equipment $.

If you have a recommended supplier, that would really help me out. I'll buy it today.

marbus90

Guru
It seemed that wiredzone: http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-4u-rackmount-cse-846be1c-r1k28b-10024069 has a wide range of server parts, specializing in supermicro. They have the particular model in stock.

Forgot to mention that this chassis is a server case, so you'd need to drop in a system. If you want a JBOD chassis instead, the http://www.supermicro.nl/products/chassis/4U/847/SC847E1C-R1K28JBOD.cfm is the better option, which offers 44 instead of 36 bays in 4U. Also available at wirezone: http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-4u-rackmount-cse-847e1c-r1k28jbod-10024058

R H

Cadet
I have a system already-- if there's space in the case for an LGA2011-v3 motherboard (ATX Sized) then I'll just dump the parts into that chassis. That would be better for me anyway.

Thanks a lot for your help and advice! Hope I can return the favor some day.

marbus90

Guru
It's EE-ATX capable, therefore it takes even the oversize boards with 24 DIMM slots. Standard E-ATX should be easy going in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.