4K sectors on drive with 512b??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alz

Cadet
Hi guys,
I built my first DIY NAS this week specs in my sig.
FreeNAS went on and was configured without issue except I did something silly late fri night and checked the "force 4K sectors" when creating my raidz1 volume without checking the data sheet for my ST33000651AS 3TB drives.
I just assumed that as they were new drives they would be 4k by default.
It turns out they have 512b sectors according to a pdf from seagate.
I have run
zpool set cachefile=/data/zfs/zpool.cache tank (change tank to your pool name)
zdb -U /data/zfs/zpool.cache | grep ashift

and it returned 12 so my question is should I rebuild my volume with the correct settings?
I have not noticed any problems yet other than rsync from my qnap is going extremely slowly(19mbs) but I put this down to the qnap cpu being maxxed out.
any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have already dumped over 5tb and have still more data on tape that I am holding back on till I can figure this out.

Milhouse

Guru
I think it's better to go with 4K even if the drives are 512B - in a year or so if/when a drive fails, how likely is it that you will pick up another 512B drive instead of a 4K? Chances are it will be the latter, in which case you're all set. If you go with 512B now, you'll end up forcing a 4K drive to operate with 512B sectors which is likely to hurt performance, whereas the opposite doesn't appear to impact performance much, if at all.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi alz,

I use 1TB Samsung drives which are also 512b drives, but I forced 4k sectors on purpose when I made my volume. I did this to sort of "future proof" it so if I ever decide to do the "swap each drive till they are all exchanged" trick to grow my volume I won't have trouble. There's also the problem of what happens when a drive fails and Samsung replaces it with something bigger that might be a 4k drive as well.

I didn't benchmark the system to extensively but the "dd" tests I did showed it cost me a few MB\s out of hundreds...seat of the pants measurements show no discernible loss of performance.

That said, I thought all 3TB drives were 4k sectored? You might want to confirm that because your setup might actually require it.

-Will

alz

Cadet
Thanks for the input guys most appreciated!

@Millhouse
Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear, I am not concerned with a small performance hit my only concern was that the volume may be misaligned in some way that would lead to problems if I ever have to rebuild due to a failed drive.

@survive
Yep future proofing sounds like a decent enough reason to go the 4k route even if its does incur some small performance hit,
I also thought all 3tb drive were 4k standard thats why I checked the box initially but the next day when I went digging on the seagate site there is a pdf datasheet available off the main ST33000651AS support page that states
Configuration/Organisation
Heads/Discs 8/4
Bytes per Sector 512

This document only mentions the 2tb drive so I found the full technical manual for both 2&3 tb drive which confirms 512b sectors.
It was the lack of this info in plain sight that made me want to find out,

anyhoo thanks again for the quick resposes

Milhouse

Guru
...I went digging on the seagate site there is a pdf datasheet available off the main ST33000651AS support page that states

It is a 4K drive, but it uses SmartAlign (512B emulation) to keep non-4K aware operating systems happy.

This emulation business is starting to p'ss me off - since most (all?) new operating systems have support for native 4K, why not give users the option to disable the emulation that is only required by a legacy OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.