22.12 won't support encrypted ix-applications dataset and all my pools are encrypted. What to do?

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
Hi

My heart just skipped a few beats as I heard over at the Truecharts discord that 22.12 will not support encrypted ix-applications datasets and all my pools - and thus my current ix-applications dataset - are encrypted.

EDIT: I don't have any spare disks laying around so how do I migrate my encrypted ix-applications dataset to an unencrypted one? will I be able to update to 22.12 once it hits generel availability?

I'm on 22.02.4 by the way.

Last edited:

Whattteva

Wizard
I would probably have prepared to do a migration of this sort. It IS BETA software after all. If you want predictability, stick with CORE.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
I would probably have prepared to do a migration of this sort. It IS BETA software after all. If you want predictability, stick with CORE.
I am still on 22.02.4 and nothing is broken but 22.12 is coming soon and I don't see how to update if 22.12 doesn't support encrypted ix-applications dataset and mine currently are.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
Or am I missing something?

Whattteva

Wizard
Looks like you're talking about this. The issue looks like it's going out in 22.12.RC.1 so I wouldn't worry about it.

IMO SCALE is beta, especially since iXSystems themselves don't feel confident enough to say that it's ready for mission-critical use.
Here's what they say about the regular STABLE release:

Field tested software with mature features. Few issues are expected.
That last line there (Few issues are expected) to me means it could be anything from minor annoyances to significant ones that require manual migration or even catastrophic failure.

truecharts

Guru
I am still on 22.02.4 and nothing is broken but 22.12 is coming soon and I don't see how to update if 22.12 doesn't support encrypted ix-applications dataset and mine currently are.

To be clear:
What was said on our Discord was that it's not supported (anymore), not that it will stop working.
We've no indication that encrypted App datasets will stop working with 22.12, just that iX never intended it to work at all.

SnoppyFloppy

Explorer
Thanks for clarifying, that is an important detail.

Nevertheless, I still think it is important to get off an encrypted ix-applications dataset.