2016 FreeNAS mini main board died. What to use as a replacement?

lambert

Cadet
I bought my FreeNAS mini in September of 2016 via Amazon. I didn't get a around to putting it in service for a couple of years. Maybe that's why it lasted this long.

It died with a Kernel panic which indicated an issue with CPU 7. I didn't grab the panic info. When I power cycled, there was no video output and the USB keyboard won't light any LEDs. Ethernet is linking at 10M-F to the switch. I see the BMC has pulled an IP from the DHCP server but haven't tried to use IPMI on it.

What is a suggested motherboard to replace these things in the mini chassis? Hopefully somthing with more processing power but with thermal dissipation within the limits of the case. It might be a bonus if the old RAM worked on the new board....

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Can't help you with the old RAM but you could go a couple different directions:

1) Replace like for like - I believe "safe" motherboards were made after Feb 2017
2) Go with a D-1508 mini ITX - like the X10SDV-2C-TLN2F from supermicro to get onboard 10Gbit, 5 SATA and 1 SATADOM. Unlikely to take old RAM though.
3) Go with the current Mini Motherboard - Asrock C3338 - see here - but no 10Gbit and only 2 memory slots.

JaimieV

Guru
Given that message it might be the CPU rather than the motherboard, if you're lucky. Can you source a matching one to test?

Constantin

Vampire Pig
CPU is embedded so unless you have mad soldering skills, it suggests replacing the motherboard, not just the CPU.

JaimieV

Guru
Ar! Fair point, I didn't look that up.

lambert

Cadet
I moved the DOM over to a Dell R710 server, just a little soldering to power it. I bought a DELL H310 PERC flashed to IT mode. Put everything together, transferred the drives to the Dell carriers and it booted up like nothing happened. I just had to reconfigure for the different network card.

I did have to modify the BIOS to use BIOS boot instead of EFI to match the DOM.

It went from 8 core atom to 12 core xeon (plus 12 HTT cores), and from 16 GB RAM to 128 GB. It just rocks on.... I love ZFS.