Replacement Mini-ITX ECC UDIMM board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarchdodra

Explorer
My C2750D4I recently died on me. I am now left with a case, and 2x8 GB of ECC UDIMM sticks.

I'd buy the same board again, but it seems the prices have gone up since (especially in Europe), and have reached ridiculous heights.

I looked at the C2550 board, and the best price I found was about 360 Euros, which is still ridiculous (IMO).

I thought I'd try a E3C224D2I board instead, as these are faily cheaper, even with the CPU (200 + 80 Euros).

Questions:
- Is the G3430 still the reference CPU to get with this board? Forum posts seem to recommend it, but these are usually about 2 years old. I also want to make sure the CPU uses the ECC, and it is my understanding not all models will.
- My memory sticks are Crucial CT102472BD160B sticks. These are NOT listed as supported, but the 4GB variants are. Anybody know if my sticks will work with board regardless? Does anyone have a similar setup? Crucial seems to think so, I think. I think the memory stick might have more than 1 reference name?

To be fair, I use my freenas box as little more than a file repository, torrent box, and sometimes watch Plex TV shows on my phone with it (never more than 1 user). So I do not believe I need much power.

Thoughts/Answer? Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has ASRock support not provided meaningful help? It might just be a known issue: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/dead-asrock-c2750d4i-and-poor-customer-service.45762/

Unfortunately, there are few options that match what you want, since Supermicro's stuff uses SO-DIMMs...

- Is the G3430 still the reference CPU to get with this board?
I guess. Any similar Haswell/Broadwell will do fine, though a Pentium is going to be slower in multithreaded scenarios than a C2750.

I also want to make sure the CPU uses the ECC, and it is my understanding not all models will.
Celerons and Pentiums should support ECC. I've seen ECC working on an i3, too, so I'm very confident in those. Xeons are obviously capable.

monarchdodra

Explorer
Interesting. Mine died a couple weeks ago. It has since been RMA'ed and refunded. I would have preferred a replacement :/

What about the memory sticks? You think it's a safe buy WRT motherboard compatibility?

monarchdodra

Explorer
It seems the G4370 is pretty much the same CPU, but more powerful and even cheaper?

There are "T" variations that have lower TDP. Will these actually draw less power though? I imagine my box to idle 99% of the time...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What about the memory sticks? You think it's a safe buy WRT motherboard compatibility?
The C226 version of the board does have them in the QVL. Additionally, CT102472BD160Bs are very compatible and practically nobody has had trouble with them.

It seems the G4370 is pretty much the same CPU, but more powerful and even cheaper?
I can't seem to find such a model.

There are "T" variations that have lower TDP. Will these actually draw less power though? I imagine my box to idle 99% of the time...
No. They might be slightly better binned, but they're physically the exact same chip, with a lower TDP set in microcode. Any differences will be small, especially at idle, but you lose the potential performance for when you do need it.

monarchdodra

Explorer
The C226 version of the board does have them in the QVL. Additionally, CT102472BD160Bs are very compatible and practically nobody has had trouble with them.

I thought I had checked that :/ In that case, I'll probably go for that. +10€ is OK for piece of mind (and bumping 2 ports from SATA2 to SATA3)

I can't seem to find such a model.

I'm sorry, I typoed. It seems the models G3470 and G3460 are newer, more powerful and cheaper, whereas models G3450, G3440 and G3430 are now older and less powerful, yet more expensive.

FYI, I'm just looking at http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?s=t&SocketsSupported=FCLGA1150&ECCMemory=true to see the possible models, and comparing prices at my retailer.

Now I'm on the fence between a G3470@72€ vs a i3-4170@115€ :D

No. They might be slightly better binned, but they're physically the exact same chip, with a lower TDP set in microcode. Any differences will be small, especially at idle, but you lose the potential performance for when you do need it.

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.