2 network interfaces, questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

katit

Contributor
Hello! Building new NAS and new motherboard (see my sig) has 2 network interfaces. Should I do something special in order to make them both work? I'm not looking for LACP(also all my network stuff can support it) - but more for a backup NIC

Questions:

1. When configuring network at home I tend to assign IPs at router by MAC. This way all clients nicely listed as DHCP clients on my router. Is there any issues? I read somewhere that I need to configure static IP at FreeNAS. Do I really have to do it?

2. DNS. I'm really not "guru" in this, just generally understand what it is. I configured DNS on router and assigned to IP of FreeNAS box. It's "HOME-NAS". Now I can browse by this name just fine while on home network.

3. What should I do with 2nd NIC? Should I just assign another IP and set same DNS name to different IP address? Won't there be a conflict?

Anyway, looking for info on how you got this thing setup

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sounds like you are going about things correctly. You can configure your ip's via mac and dhcp at the router and i suggest it because it's easier and works better. As for the second nic you should probably just leave it not connected to your network. Having multiple nic's on the same subnet can cause problems and LACP is to complicated for very little advantages. You need 10+ clients all doing something at once to notice LACP improvements.

As sweetandlo said youre going about it all correctly, using DHCP to create a reservation, DNS is fine, and as per the second NIC, i would just leave it alone, disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.