2.5" HDD Recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashDive

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I'm planning on building a NAS from an old HP Proliant DL380 G5 I picked up free from my friend and it has 8 2.5" drive bays I figure I should make use of. I think 8 drives is more than enough for my system and I'll probably only be using 4 or 5 drives tops and I would like about 3 TB of storage. I also have no particular interest in speed.

So far I've found: (I use Australian Dollars)
- WD Green WD20EZRX 2TB ($160)
- WD Red WD10JFCX 1TB ($110)

And that's really all I can come up with for drives that would even be semi appropriate for use in a NAS. I'm just not yet comfortable navigating the 2.5" drive market and am at a bit of a loss on what to choose. Should I just choose the two drives listed above or is there some other gem hiding amounst the sea of cummy laptop drives? At this point I'm *almost* tempted to populate all the drive bays with cheap 500GB drives and setup a mirror config with them.

Any thoughts or drive recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Arwen

MVP
I use the following in my miniture media server, with ZFS. It's 2TBs, but absolutely
needs to have the spin down feature disabled. Mine racked up 48,000 Load_Cycle_Count
until I realized it was doing that.

Seagate Samsung SpinPoint M9T ST2000LM003

During ZFS scrubs it does get hot due to the media server being fanless, so I have a cheap
USB fan on the media server.

CrashDive

Cadet
Thanks guys, I'll have a look into those drives. If anyone else has more drive suggestions please share, there seem to be far too few options of 2.5" drives but that might just be the way it is.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.