16gb ram how much can i allocate to VM core/scale

hi,

currently running

core-13.0-U3.1
e3 1230
16gb ecc (since udimm, upgrading to 32gb is not cheap)
8TB mirror (mixed files, heaviest stuff probably several gb big photoshop files)
two 4TB mirrors (media)
1GbE (considering going 2.5GbE, yes yes i've read all about that here and i am aware ; ] )
1 user (2 theoretical users, so this NAS is not under that much load)
no plugins etc

since the minimum requirements for core are 16gb, and scale are 8gb (16gb recommended) i'm interested if scale would allow me to allocate the same amount with less downside or maybe more? i've read 1gb ram per 1tb of hdds, and i'm not using truenas for that long so i would like to read some opinions for my case. for current core setup and possible switch to scale option.

thanks for reading

artlessknave

Wizard
no. you need more RAM (motherboard is not listed?)

Whattteva

Wizard
since the minimum requirements for core are 16gb, and scale are 8gb (16gb recommended)
I don't think this is accurate. At least not according to the official documentation. It's listed as 8 GB there unless iXsystems forgot to update that document. To run VM's, you definitely want at least 32 GB RAM though in my experience. You can get away with 16GB (I did for a while), but you get some wonkiness like random VM crashes. My stability issues disappeared when I upgraded to 32 GB.

late, thanks for the answers.
yeah maybe i'll find a cheap replacement because buying 4x8gb ecc udimm is way to expensive for what it is.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
At least not according to the official documentation. It's listed as 8 GB there unless iXsystems forgot to update that document.

It seems to take awhile for these kinds of updates to percolate through the system. It is clear that someone raised the minimum for CORE to 16GB. I don't know why offhand.

Since the memory management on Linux apparently sucks, I would think that you would want MORE memory on SCALE than you would need on an equivalent CORE system.

Whattteva

Wizard
late, thanks for the answers.
yeah maybe i'll find a cheap replacement because buying 4x8gb ecc udimm is way to expensive for what it is.
That's interesting. It only cost me $53 for 2x 8GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM back in late June 2022. Have the prices changed that much since?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Prices fluctuate. I have a client complaining about some 870 EVO 1TB's that have been sitting on a shelf for about a year. "Depreciation!" Uh, you bought them at $99 and they now go for $109 (and were recently $159).