12.0-U3 Jail Kernel Mismatch

indivision

Guru
Hello.

I have upgraded my jails via the GUI to 12.1-RELEASE-p13. It doesn't seem to allow going higher via the GUI.

When I run pkg updates within the jail it says that I have a kernel mismatch and asks if I want to ignore that.

I figured that I just need to wait for a release update for TrueNAS. But, the issue has remained for some time now.

So, I'm wondering what my best options are?

Should I ignore the mismatch and make updates anyway? Is there a safe/simple method for updating the jails kernel beyond the GUI?

adrianwi

Guru

indivision

Guru
Thank you. Since my jails won't upgrade through the GUI to what you have does that indicate that something is broken in my install? Or, does it mean that it's unsafe/unsupported to upgrade that far?

I can use the command-line, etc. But, when there is a GUI option that can't achieve the same results it implies that something is either broken or it's doing something that isn't supported.

indivision

Guru
Also, one of the jails is set up through the plugin system. Wouldn't manually updating the jail break that?

Am I being held back from updates by a root jail image or something?

indivision

Guru
I had hoped that updating to TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 today would allow me to fix this issue. No luck.

So, it appears that I am somehow stuck on old jails. The GUI update button does not detect newer jails. Manual updating the jails results in an error.

If I nuke all of my jails and start over will that somehow allow a "base template" to upgrade or something?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You can't upgrade jails from the GUI. What command are you using to try and upgrade your jails?

indivision

Guru
You can't upgrade jails from the GUI. What command are you using to try and upgrade your jails?

Hm. In the past I have been able to click the upgrade button in the GUI and it would increase the jail version when one was available.

I am trying to use this command:

Code:
iocage upgrade plex -r 12.2-RELEASE-p2

Interestingly, that command used to cause a Jail Kernel mismatch error. Now, it says something about "no mirrors remaining" and "This may be because upgrading from this platform (amd64) or release (12.2-RELEASE-p2) is unsupported by tmppt9h5mjg. Only platforms with Tier 1 support can be upgraded by tmppt9h5mjg."

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hm. In the past I have been able to click the upgrade button in the GUI and it would increase the jail version when one was available.
It will update the patch level of the BSD version the jail is running. The only way to update the BSD version is to use the shell.

Try running your upgrade command without the -p2 on the end. The upgrade command will upgrade it to whatever the latest patch level that is available.

Also if I'm not mistaken you can't upgrade plugins with this command. Others seem to have not had any luck doing so. I don't run plugins so I can't give you a definitive answer on that.

indivision

Guru
It will update the patch level of the BSD version the jail is running. The only way to update the BSD version is to use the shell.

Try running your upgrade command without the -p2 on the end. The upgrade command will upgrade it to whatever the latest patch level that is available.

Also if I'm not mistaken you can't upgrade plugins with this command. Others seem to have not had any luck doing so. I don't run plugins so I can't give you a definitive answer on that.

Thank you!

Removing "-p2" looks like it worked. Although this looks like it's going to take a while.

Most of my jails are not plugins. But, I will test this command on them and report back just for future reference.

indivision

Guru
FWIW, I tried the same update on a plugin and it did fail.

Thanks again for the help!

pschatz100

Guru
Thank you!

Removing "-p2" looks like it worked. Although this looks like it's going to take a while.

Most of my jails are not plugins. But, I will test this command on them and report back just for future reference.
Updating the jails is very slow. Be patient. I don't run plugins, so I cannot comment on those.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Updating the jails is very slow. Be patient.
If there is a /usr/src directory with content in your jail, delete it before you upgrade. It's not necessary and it is what takes the most time.

indivision

Guru
It's not too much trouble waiting a bit for a jail upgrade in my context. No worries.

Good to know about deleting /usr/src first. Will do that next time. Thank you.