11 RC2 VM trouble adding disk storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm playing around with 11 RC2 in virtualbox. I've successfully created a test VM and have everything set up except storage. For some reason when I try to add a "disk" device I get no option of a zvol to select, the drop down menu is empty.

I've added a separate disk in virtualbox and set up a separate zvol in the FreeNAS GUI for the VM storage. Does the zvol for VM storage have to be mounted or shared somehow before it's accessible to be added as a disk device?

Stux

MVP
Not in my experience with RC1

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok I'm going to try a fresh install and see if that helps. I've been running an upgrade install to simulate upgrading from 9.10 to see how it would go. Maybe a fresh install is what is needed.

Stux

MVP
Mine was an upgrade install. You could try RC1 to see if it's a regression.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Had the same issue on RC1. Was hoping upgrading to RC2 would fix it but it didn't.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
No dice. Fresh install same thing. No option of a volume to select from the drop down menu on a fresh install either. Oh well, wish I had some extra bare metal to test on..........

Stux

MVP
Bug report. Maybe it'll get fixed in rc3 then ;)

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Id rather test on bare metal before I report it as a bug since I haven't seen anyone else report this type of behavior. I'd hate to file a bug report only to have the devs chasing a ghost.

SavageAUS

Patron
Id rather test on bare metal before I report it as a bug since I haven't seen anyone else report this type of behavior. I'd hate to file a bug report only to have the devs chasing a ghost.
I havnt seen this but I'm on bare metal. I create the zvol then create the vm and can successfully add it as a device.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MadLoo

Cadet
I know this is a couple of months old now but I am experiencing this same issue. VM gets created just fine but when I go to add a disk the zvol dropdown is empty. I have destroyed and recreated both the volume and VM multiple times but no dice. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Stux

MVP
Have you created a zvol?

MadLoo

Cadet
yes I did (I apologize, should have been more specific in my description). I ended up saving my configs wiping my boot disk and starting over. Seems to be working ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.