SOLVED 11.1-U2 LAGG/LACP and NFS mount error

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorR

Contributor
I had LAGG/LACP and NFS shares working seamlessly on this NAS for >2.5 yrs. Then, a GUI update to 11.1 failed and had to a complete reinstall. Although, the ZFS volume survived intact(I think).

Setting up LAGG/LACP via GUI wizard results in this popup error (1, 2)
But, when I look at Network>Link Aggregations, the LAGG is there. Although, I have to manually insert the IP address and netmask. I deleted and recreated the LAGG a couple of times, there error always happens.
All shares were created through the GUI wizard, and seem ok

I can access the FreeNAS GUI at 10.0.1.2
So, I don’t think there is a problem via my router/switch

But, when I try to access the shares via a Mac network client(as usual), it results in "There was a problem connecting to the server “10.0.1.2”"

Looking at Console, this appears. So, it appears to be a permission problem. But, the shares are configured with "All Directories" checked and Maproot/Mapall set to Nobody group. I would expect to see the usual login screen popup.

Unfortunately, I configured this NAS a couple of years ago. It's worked so well, that I just don't remember exactly how I did everything.

Last edited:

c32767a

Patron
I have a couple thoughts..

Typically, you'd want to put something in the allowed hosts or networks box. At a minimum it would be something like 10.0.1.0/24, but should really be the network and netmask for your local network, assuming you want the entire network to be able to have full read/write access to all the files on your NAS over NFS.

Realistically, you probably would want to tighten that up to just the list of your NFS clients.
Also, the / in the NFS error may indicate another problem, I would have expected to see the path in the deny message to be /vol1/Q30/.. Just having / in there makes me wonder if the mac is even including the path in the mount request. Since Freenas doesn't normally share /, an attempt to mount that would fail no matter what you had in the sharing config.

VictorR

Contributor
Thanks for responding. I had the same thought about attempting to mount /. But, that is the address that is in Mac Finder from the previous working config of the NAS share(it really is afp://10.0.1.2/).

I can't remember if I had anything in "Authorized networks" before. However, that sounds like it might the problem. Since the error message says "mount request denied". I will include the 10.0.1.0/24 network in that field and see if it works, first. Then, try a better path like afp://10.0.1.2/Q30/

Man, I really appreciate the pointers, thanks!

c32767a

Patron
Thanks for responding. I had the same thought about attempting to mount /. But, that is the address that is in Mac Finder from the previous working config of the NAS share(it really is afp://10.0.1.2/).

I can't remember if I had anything in "Authorized networks" before. However, that sounds like it might the problem. Since the error message says "mount request denied". I will include the 10.0.1.0/24 network in that field and see if it works, first. Then, try a better path like afp://10.0.1.2/Q30/

Man, I really appreciate the pointers, thanks!

Well, one other callout.. AFP is not NFS.. Right? :) If your URL in the finder is afp://, you'll want to make sure your afp service is enabled and set up.

VictorR

Contributor
Well, one other callout.. AFP is not NFS.. Right? :) If your URL in the finder is afp://, you'll want to make sure your afp service is enabled and set up.

Thank you! I actually was wondering about this. I couldn’t remember if they were originally AFP shares, or NFS(2.5 yrs ago). Because this NAS is used for 2K/4K raw video streaming to editing/post production workstations, I assume I configured NFS(AFP is supposedly slower, and dying on the vine). But, I don’t get by this office very often, anymore. So, no memory of which.

I tried nfs://10.0.1.2 and the connection was denied(I think). But, I will try again to today WITH full path to a share

c32767a

Patron
Thank you! I actually was wondering about this. I couldn’t remember if they were originally AFP shares, or NFS(2.5 yrs ago). Because this NAS is used for 2K/4K raw video streaming to editing/post production workstations, I assume I configured NFS(AFP is supposedly slower, and dying on the vine). But, I don’t get by this office very often, any more. So, no memory of which.

I tried nfs://10.0.1.2 and the connection was denied(I think). But, I will try again to today WITH full path to a share

Given your use case, if you have a directory system in place so you can keep your UIDs in sync with the MACs, NFS is probably a more reliable bet than AFP. Having said that I have to admit I still stick to AFP, since I like being able to keep using time machine as a backup tool.

A quick way to check is to pop open a CLI on a MAC and do:
Code:
sudo /bin/bash
mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount -t nfs <nas ip>:/mnt/<vol mountpoint> /tmp/mnt

then cd /tmp/mnt and do ls -l and see if the user names reported on the directories and files make sense. If they do, then you probably were using NFS. If they don't you probably need to keep investigating your old config to see what's missing in the new environment.

Before you exit the shell, make sure to do:
Code:
cd /
umount /tmp/mnt
exit

VictorR

Contributor
I'll be back at that office tomorrow and put all those great suggestion into action!
Thanks, I really appreciate the help

VictorR

Contributor
Thinking back to a week or so ago...when the fresh instal was working and the volume re-imported into the system. I did go through and change the mount/datasets from AFP to NFS via the GUI. I wonder if this was the problem, as they were created AFP

I enabled AFP, too (I know I shouldn't have both protocols at once, but...for testing purposes)
Tried to mount the temp directory(even tried afp) - got this

AFP connecting to server via Finder does bring up the logon screen
But, no password works for Q30,or dataset within it
NFS connection just gets denied

After that, I changed top level Q30 ownership and permissions to "nobody" group and user. (bad practice, I know. set recursively). No luck

Any nfs connection results in this denial

I think Q30 was always, and still is, NFS. But, should I change it and/or the underlying datasets back to AFP? Just to get this thing accessible?

VictorR

Contributor
Stupid me.....
NFS requires full path declaration to each dataset, e.g. /mnt/Q30/ADMIN
I wasn't including the mount

The upside of all this is that NFS seems to be a much quicker connection as far as browsing datasets. We'll see on multi-TB video transfers

LAGG is working great

c32767a

Patron
Stupid me.....
NFS requires full path declaration to each dataset, e.g. /mnt/Q30/ADMIN
I wasn't including the mount

The upside of all this is that NFS seems to be a much quicker connection as far as browsing datasets. We'll see on multi-TB video transfers

LAGG is working great

NFS would be my preferred method for your use case, but it does require a directory service or UID coordination.

You have enough CPU you can probably increase the number of NFS threads if performance doesn't measure up.

BTW, now that things are working, don't forget to dump a copy of the config, in case anything goes wrong again in the future.. :)

VictorR

Contributor
I spoke too soon. The previous LAGG/LACP config + kernel tunables on 11.04 had been tweaked to a level that we were getting stable 600-750MB/s reads and 720-940MB/sec writes from the empty NAS(using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test). It averaged ~500/500 with the NAS 60% full. Right now, I'm getting ~85MB/s and 410MB/s.

I remembered that Jumbo packets were set to "mtu 9000". So, did that at each interface and a reboot and getting 120MB/s read, 380MB/s writes.

Now, I know many people recommend against jumbo packets on larger networks. But, in our small LAN for 4K raw video editing, it really helped. And, was rock-steady for 2.5-3 years. Hopefully, 45 Drives can remember the tweaks

[UPDATE 20 mins later]

It seems it took the Q30 and Netgear XS728T 10Gb switch a few mins to settle in at the mtu 9000 setting. We are now back to previous performance for a NAS. Here's the before JUMBO tweak and after it

And, that is with an external drive currently writing to the NAS

Last edited:

c32767a

Patron
It seems it took the Q30 and Netgear XS728T 10Gb switch a few mins to settle in at the mtu 9000 setting. We are now back to previous performance for a NAS. Here's the before JUMBO tweak and after it

And, that is with an external drive currently writing to the NAS

Out of curiosity, if you go into the Services>NFS configuration, how many NFSds are you configured to start? It's the very first box. Typically it's set to 4-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.