Not open for further replies.

JWGlide

Dabbler
FreeNAS-11.1-U5
Platform AMD E-350D APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 3658MB

8gb USB boot drive
3 each 2GB - WD drives

System has been running fine for about 3.5 years, no changes from me apart from updates to FreeNas environment as they come along.
Out of nowhere, caught the following error message

CRITICAL: Oct. 11, 2018, 8:49 a.m. - The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

Ran a zpool status -v
Code:
errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:			

//usr/local/lib/migrate93/django/contrib/gis/maps/__pycache__		  
		freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U6@2018-04-06-15:50:10:/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.24/
mach/auto																	  
mach/auto/Encode																
mach/auto/Encode/CN/CN.so													  
mach/auto/Encode/EBCDIC														
mach/auto/Encode/JP															
mach/auto/Encode/JP/JP.so													  
mach/auto/Encode/KR															
mach/auto/Encode/KR/KR.so													  
mach/auto/Encode/Symbol														
mach/auto/Encode/TW															
mach/auto/Encode/TW/TW.so													  
mach/auto/Encode/Unicode														
mach/auto/Fcntl																
mach/auto/File																 
mach/auto/File/DosGlob

Effectively a total newb. No idea what happened, what the fix might be, or how to execute it.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
The answer to 99.9% of issues with boot devices is the same:
  • Download your config file (which you should already be doing)
  • Do a fresh install of FreeNAS to a new device
  • Upload your saved config file

System has been running fine for about 3.5 years, no changes from me apart from updates to FreeNas environment as they come along.
3.5 years is good life from a USB drive. I would seek out the same brand.

gpsguy

By the way, the FreeNAS RAM requirement calls for 8GB RAM. You have less than 4. I would upgrade to at least 8.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption
Sounds like you already have received the answer here, but your boot drive died. It happens. The simple solution is a new boot drive. The data in your storage pool should be unaffected. No worries there. If you can backup your config and restore it to the new installation, you will be back up and running in very short order.
However, as @gpsguy pointed out:
Memory 3658MB
Your memory situation is not what it should be. Take a look at this:

Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

Your hardware is in need of an update. I imagine that it was old when you turned it into a NAS to begin with (introduced in 2013) and with a clock speed of only 1.6 GHz, that processor is certain to be slowing the entire system down. Seriously, it doesn't need to be new, but newer than that would be better.

JWGlide

Dabbler
Thank you everyone.
Understood on the memory, will be ordering additional memory today.

Have created backup file of config and am preparing new boot drive currently.

As for the next step, is there a step by step tutorial that anyone can link me to?

I'm not certain exactly how to get the next bit right. Simply shut down the server, swap in the new boot drive, then upload config file? That seems like it's too simple.
The data currently stored on my hardware won't be effected? I feel like I'm missing something.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Simply shut down the server, swap in the new boot drive, then upload config file? That seems like it's too simple.
You need to install the OS. When the OS boots, don't use the initial configuration wizard, just restore the backup on the config and it sets everything back the way it was.
The storage pool is a separate set of disks from the boot pool. I have only had to replace two boot devices, but it is designed to be separate as a safeguard for your data and yes, it is supposed to be that simple.

JWGlide

Dabbler
Again many thanks.
Hopefully the final question here -
Is there a consensus on whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to an SSD drive from a USB stick?
They seem to be pretty large(storage) now, and while not too pricey, seems as though it would be a bit of a waste, IMO

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hopefully the final question here -
Please, ask as many questions as you need answers for. No limit.
Is there a consensus on whether or not it's worth it to upgrade to an SSD drive from a USB stick?
I don't use USB for boot devices. I feel that they are not reliable enough. I have used regular hard drives and SSDs, in both instances, they are small capacity drives. The smallest I could find at the time. My personal FreeNAS servers at home are booting from mirrored pairs of 40GB laptop style spinning disks and they have worked very reliably, over two years now. I have some systems at work with SATA DOM and some with SSD, but it is your choice.
There are many options. If you are getting something new, I would get something else, instead of USB.

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. A SATA DOM (disk on module) looks like this:
upload_2018-10-15_13-48-23.png
It plugs directly to the SATA port and works like a SSD.
You can get them at NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...scription=sata+dom&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

danb35

Hall of Famer
I believe there is a general consensus, and that is "yes." Smaller SSDs are pretty cheap, and though you won't use most of the capacity, wear leveling means that it should last a good long time. Small hard drives will also work, though I don't think many folks here use them.

JWGlide

Dabbler
I'd have to check when I open up the case to do the memory, but Im not certain that I have any available SATA ports left on the mobo. Its a small form factor unit and I THINK I've got all drives on all the ports. So, without a big overhaul, I'd likely need to connect even an ssd via USB as a boot drive anyway. Im not opposed to it. Anyone have any experience with that? Anything that differs between that config vs a USB stick?

JWGlide

Dabbler
Update to above -
Definitely no available SATA ports.
As it turns out, I have (2) 4gb Ram Dimms - one must not have been seated correctly or something. Checked it all out, pull and reinstalled those, and currently showing 7754MB

So my options are either SSD or mechanical drive connected via USB, or a USB stick with is not optimal.

JWGlide

Dabbler
Ok gang, I'm hopeful that this is the final update to this thread.

I picked up an SSD drive that connects via a USB whip.

Setup an install USB drive, and installation onto the SSD went smoothly.
On initial boot, however, the SSD drive wasn't being found and I was getting an error message as the OS was attempting to boot from the drive pool.
Shutdown, unplugged all the SATA cables to the pool drive, rebooted. Before booting, I went into the BIOS to be sure that the SSD was showing up as a boot option, boot went off just fine.
Shutdown again, reconnected all the SATA cables, back into the BIOS to double check boot drive priority as SSD.
Everything came up without a hitch.
Uploaded config file and rebooted once more.
Everything seems to be fine at this point. Drives connect, all the data is there.
A cron job that I had set up to do the nightly config backup was not present anymore, but everything else seems to be as it was, including SMART tasks, scrubs, etc.

After a day or two of use and nightly scrubs, I'll know for sure, but so far, it appears that this can be moved into the "SOLVED" column.

Thanks again to all for the input, advice and instruction.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Ok gang, I'm hopeful that this is the final update to this thread.
Don't feel like you have to quit visiting the forum, you can always keep reading and learning, maybe even answer questions if you have time and know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.