11.0 U4 to 11.1 Results in No Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Performing an upgrade from the command prompt on FreeNAS 11.0 U4 upgrading to 11.1 results in the network interfaces reporting No Carrier. Normally when this happens you console in and remove the network configuration and reset them all and than reconfigure it from scratch and it works. In my case resetting the network adapters and setting them to DHCP results in the adapters obtaining an IP address from DHCP, but they cannot be connected to or ping out. If I assign a static IP to the interfaces I net the same result of config present but interfaces down. Rebooting and downgrading back to the installation before the upgrade returns the system to a functioning state.

Checking ifconfig everything appears normal but the interfaces report no carrier, the 1GB interfaces physical light shows connected, the 10GB interfaces are dark. However if I replug the optics the interfaces briefly light up before going dark again. I also notices that there appear to be some python errors in the boot up process but they fly by the screen to quickly to get a picture of what it is. Any ideas on ways to troubleshoot further?

PowerEdge R720

2x Intel 1GGib NICs
2x Intel 10Gib x520 NICs

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Rebooting and downgrading back to the installation before the upgrade returns the system to a functioning state.
For the sake of simplicity, why not save a copy of your configuration to a client machine, perform a fresh install of 11.1 STABLE and upload your saved config file after 11.1 has been installed
IIRC you can choose to not overwrite the existing boot environments on your boot drive when performing an install which allows you to go back to the 11.0 U4 instance if things are still not to your liking.

So I performed a fresh install and the 10GiB interfaces exhibited the same issue immediately on the fresh image. The 1Gib interfaces became impacted once the configuration was loaded. Rebooting and clearing the configuration did not help. There is something seriously wrong with this image.

PnoT

Dabbler
I'm not sure if my issue is related but trying to upgrade from 9.10.2 U6 -> 11.1 with x520 10Gb cards nets me "no carrier" as well. Any progress on resolving your issue?

So after three months I have narrowed this down to a problem with jails and perhaps the subinterfaces it is creating.

I backed up all my data and did a fresh install of Freenas 11.1 U4, everything worked. I installed Plex, and during the installation of Plex the system through out a bunch of Python errors and locked up. Got it rebooted and during the boot up phase it says that it has an IP in DHCP, but I can't ping it and it can't ping the gateway. When I do an ifconfig I get no carrier on the 10Gib interfaces. The 1Gib interfaces also stop working until I use the reset network configuration options from the console and remove the 10Gib configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.