10 GBit network - replace SMB with NFS shares for Win 10 clients worth it for speed?

flashdrive

Patron
Is there a speed upgrade for NFS shares on Windows clients compared to TN SCALE and CORE SMB?

In my current setup I can achieve about 400 MByte/sec of continuous writes to the TN system using SMB.

SMnasMAN

Contributor
(EDIT: btw- below im ONLY commenting RE: TN Core, i have not run SCALE yet, so can not comment on it at all)

I doubt you will see an increase, and most likely will see a decrease.

if you are seeing 400 MB/s of write, to the pool in your sig ( 6x SATA HDD in raidz1) then you are seeing the correct performance (in fact prob a bit higher than normal for that setup, thus cacheing or compression is most likely in play, somewhere).

a 1x vDev Z1 pool should give you ABOUT 1x disk of performance (ie a 2x vDev pool of Z1, ABOUT 2x disk of perf) , assuming a single HDD in you z1 pool does ~ 180 MB/s (sequential) R or W (not both) , then you are in good shape performance wise.

if you want to see load on the disks while you do your smb file copies:

via CLI /ssh , run:
gstat -s -p
or
gstat -s -p -o -d
or
zpool iostat 2 500

(above are commands to show IO activity to your pool or to the drives, they are harmless, monitoring type commands -> google them if ? )

ill bet if you copy a file that is 64GB in size (or so) you will see that speed drop off a decent bit, and end up averaging ~ 150 - 250 MB/sec , which again is inline- assuming you are using good 7200rpm drives, that is)