10 GB dual or quad port network card that works in SCALE

asap2go

Patron
That's great to hear. It's the first report I've seen from a SCALE user of a dual-port 10 GB card, whether SFP+ or Base-T, that verifiably works. I'm going to order one. Sorry about your bad transceivers.
I've got an Intel X550-T2 which worked out of the box in core and scale, including Link Aggregation via LACP.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
Thanks, everyone.

Here is a list of dual- and quad-port 10 GB cards identified so far that verifiably work in SCALE according to user reports:

Intel X520-DA2 (dual-port SFP+)

Chelsio T420E-CR (dual-port SFP+)

Chelsio T440-CR (quad-port SFP+; note high-profile bracket only)

Intel X550-T2 (dual-port base-T; apparently supports 2.5 and 5 GB in addition to 10GB)

Last edited:

DSN

Cadet
Hey @Patrick_3000

The X710 series is one of the cards that's used by iXsystems in our own hardware, so it should definitely be recognized.

If the card isn't visible in lspci or lshw then that speaks to a potential hardware level issue. Would you be willing to open a "Report a Bug" issue and include a debug file (System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) with it?

I initially had trouble with my ASRock ROMED6U-2L2T board that has an Intel X710-AT2 chip and 2 10G ports run from it. I'm not sure if it was 100% PEBKAC or not, but after an update to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 it is now working between the ASROCK port and my old NAS with an X550-AT2 card (that box is running CORE TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I initially had trouble with my ASRock ROMED6U-2L2T board that has an Intel X710-AT2 chip and 2 10G ports run from it. I'm not sure if it was 100% PEBKAC or not, but after an update to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2 it is now working between the ASROCK port and my old NAS with an X550-AT2 card (that box is running CORE TrueNAS-13.0-U5.3.
Maybe it's something quirky with ASRock and ASRock Rack and the X710. However, I recently upgraded to SCALE 23.10.0, and it's still not recognized.

In any case, I've ordered an X520-DA2. It has a Yottamark stamp, so hopefully it's genuine. When it arrives and I install it, I'll report back.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
In any case, I've ordered an X520-DA2. It has a Yottamark stamp, so hopefully it's genuine. When it arrives and I install it, I'll report back.
If it does not work, please also check the logs for errors about unsupported SFTP+ transceivers.

tiro_uspsss

Cadet
Maybe it's something quirky with ASRock and ASRock Rack and the X710. However, I recently upgraded to SCALE 23.10.0, and it's still not recognized.

all these non functioning cards.. have you tried 1) other mobo, 2) other PCIE slot?

Last edited:

DSN

Cadet

There was some recent discussions on the Intel support forum regarding ASRock boards with X710 chips and Debian/Ubuntu, so there may be some commonalities between those issues and what you are seeing. The board cited in the thread is different than mine, but some of the troubleshooting steps they suggest may help you...
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...ot-working-on-Ubuntu-22-04-Debian/m-p/1533326

Patrick_3000

Contributor
There was some recent discussions on the Intel support forum regarding ASRock boards with X710 chips and Debian/Ubuntu, so there may be some commonalities between those issues and what you are seeing. The board cited in the thread is different than mine, but some of the troubleshooting steps they suggest may help you...
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...ot-working-on-Ubuntu-22-04-Debian/m-p/1533326
Thanks. That's very interesting. Those troubleshooting steps involve installing drivers, which isn't recommended with SCALE as it could break updates. But it's good to document this for anyone else facing the issue with X710 chips and ASRock or ASRock Rack boards.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
I have installed an X520-DA2 card that I got used for around $25, and it works. It's older technology, from around 2013, and PCIE 2.0 x 8, with no N-base-T support, but that's all fine in my use case. The heat sink is not too big, so it's probably somewhat power efficient, and it works perfectly in my SCALE installation as far as I can tell.

Patrick_3000

Contributor
As a follow-up, I have determined that the Intel X710-DA2 card I bought does work. The problem is that it does not appear to work in SCALE with passive DAC cables. I tried two, and neither one got a connection to the switch. However, when I tried it with multimode transceivers and an optical cable, it worked.

So, I can now confirm that in addition to X520-DA2 cards, which work for me in SCALE with passive DAC cables, X710-DA2 cards work but only with transceivers.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
The Chelsio T520 CR Dual SFP+ definately works - its what I use. I think my spare box has an Intel 520

Last edited: