10 1TB drives configure as 5x2x1000GB or 2x5x1000GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay629

Dabbler
Hi there,
am new to FreeNAS and thinking to run FreeNAS for home storage sharing files (mainly media files sized a few GBs) across Windows(computer) and android(mobile), the pool will be a bunch of HDDs; currently thinking 10, or might use 12 if more optimal.
The first question I have is while creating the volume, I was given the option like this:
1 pool 2 parity RAID6.jpg

Looks like this is a big RAID6 equivalent.. it just looks kind of awkward to me lol...To improve the performance a little, I was thinking to do two RAIDz, then stripe across the two RAIDz. So I try to drag the graph, I get this:
1 pool 2 parity 2xRAID5-RAID0.jpg

It gives the same useable capacity as two RAIDz, but the graphs looks like I will be getting a single RAIDz that has 5 vdev, each contains a two-drives-RAID0. Which one should work better?
It seems to me that the 2nd one is more problematic as it has more RAID components..

Any advise?

Thanks~

Jay629

Dabbler
Just to clarify, by which one works better I mean:
one RAIDz that contains five 2-drive-stripe
or
two striped RAIDz that each contains five 1-physical-drive

The one RAIDz2 with 10 drives seems to be the best regarding drive failure tolerance (as it allows any two; the other two options need to be a certain 2 not any) , just a little odd to see 10 drives in single RAIDz2...well, if nothing really wrong with this option I would just go with this one anyway

Any thought?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
don't use raidz if you don't have to. I would choose to do 10disk in raidz2

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just to clarify, by which one works better I mean:
one RAIDz that contains five 2-drive-stripe
or
two striped RAIDz that each contains five 1-physical-drive
The question is irrelevant, since the first configuration is impossible. What the volume manager is offering to create is the second configuration. But I would also vote for the 10 X 1 TB RAIDZ2 configuration.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Looks like this is a big RAID6 equivalent.. it just looks kind of awkward to me lol...To improve the performance a little, I was thinking to do two RAIDz, then stripe across the two RAIDz. So I try to drag the graph, I get this:
View attachment 8039

It gives the same useable capacity as two RAIDz, but the graphs looks like I will be getting a single RAIDz that has 5 vdev, each contains a two-drives-RAID0. Which one should work better?
It seems to me that the 2nd one is more problematic as it has more RAID components..

I think you are mis-interpreting this graph. I think this is 2 x 5 Drive RAID-Z vdevs. Stripes/RAID0 don't enter this config. I would also recommend 10 drive RAIDz2.

Jay629

Dabbler
I think you are mis-interpreting this graph. I think this is 2 x 5 Drive RAID-Z vdevs. Stripes/RAID0 don't enter this config. I would also recommend 10 drive RAIDz2.

Ah I though it should be this way too but the 1|2|3|4|5 on the header line leads me to that interpretation lol..
Anyway, as everyone recommend, I would just go with the 10 drives RAIDZ2~

Thanks for all the quick replies :)

toadman

Guru
The question is irrelevant, since the first configuration is impossible. What the volume manager is offering to create is the second configuration. But I would also vote for the 10 X 1 TB RAIDZ2 configuration.

I can't remember what the volume manager will/won't allow, but I interpreted the first config as 5 x 2-drive mirror vdevs. That is valid for sure. I run it in my server.

For media files, in a similar situation I'd probably run 12 disks in a 2 x 6-disk RAIDZ2 config. i.e. 2 vdevs of 6 disks, each configured in RAIDZ2. If you haven't bought the disks yet, any reason you are looking at 1TB vs. 4+TB? The $/GB is undoubtedly less on the larger drives. If you have the drives already, makes total sense. :)

toadman

Guru
Ah, I see. Yes, this doesn't make sense..."one RAIDz that contains five 2-drive-stripe". I didn't read carefully enough. Sub "pool" for "RAIDZ" and it makes (some) sense.

Jay629

Dabbler
@toadman
Thanks for the replies,
I though the graph indicates five 2-drive-stripe too...
but anyway, as everyone suggests I would just go with 10 drive raidz2.
I got the drives in an old system from the 2011...surprisingly all still have warranty til 2016(the remaining of 5-year).. all tested good so would just continue to use them anyway~
I though about two 6-drive-raidz2 too, but that seems to waste a lot of capacity :( don't really need that much redundancy at this point lol~

Status
Not open for further replies.