1 TB External Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdinis87

Dabbler
I'm trying to import a External Disk with 1 TB, bu when i try to do it the system say "An error occurred while labeling the disk".
I insert vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="0"' >> /boot/loader.conf, but nothing happend....
I saw that this is common error in freenas 8 but i can't find a solution...

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm not sure what the limitations are with the FreeBSD implementation of NTFS. My guess is the partition is too large, but NTFS support in FreeBSD isn't very reliable. I tried to find more details about the limitations, but I didn't find any in my initial search.

Emegra

Dabbler
I'm not sure what the limitations are with the FreeBSD implementation of NTFS. My guess is the partition is too large, but NTFS support in FreeBSD isn't very reliable. I tried to find more details about the limitations, but I didn't find any in my initial search.
Hi
I have a very similar problem as sdinis87 (which i posted a thread about without reply 2 days ago) only my drive is already formatted to ufs and was previously installed and working in in a server running v7.2 your comment about the partition size is interesting because like sdinis87 my external drive is also 1TB with no partitions, does v8.02 have a problem with large partitions because partition size seems to be the common denominator

Graeme

sdinis87

Dabbler
It's very interesting because the first time I installed FreeNAS I could import the disk, but I had to reinstall the system, and no i already installed it several times and I can not import the disk.
strangely this new version supports ntfs...

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi
I have a very similar problem as sdinis87 (which i posted a thread about without reply 2 days ago) only my drive is already formatted to ufs and was previously installed and working in in a server running v7.2 your comment about the partition size is interesting because like sdinis87 my external drive is also 1TB with no partitions, does v8.02 have a problem with large partitions because partition size seems to be the common denominator

Graeme

It shouldn't have any problems with UFS since this is the native filesystem of FreeNAS/FreeBSD. My advice would be to upgrade from 8.02 to 8.0.4-p1, although this won't fix importing problems specifically.

NTFS is different, it's just not developed enough to make it reliable. Sometimes running "chkdsk /r" from Windows first (takes a long time, don't interrupt it!) will find/fix problems and then you'll be able to import NTFS.

sdinis87

Dabbler
Hi,
i tried the solution given by protosd (chkdsk /r) it took a few time to end the processec but it worked....
Now i can import the volume and share....
thank you protosd and Emegra for your availability...

Status
Not open for further replies.