1 of my raid HD's died, how can I get my data from the other HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHRA-NO-2

Cadet
Hi,
I am pretty new to FreeNas. I built my first FreeNas box back in March of this year. Yesturday one of the two hard drives setup in Raid died. I need to know what to do to get to the data on the remaining drive. When I access the webgui, it just tells me that one of the drives is missing. What settings do I change?

jfr2006

Contributor
Whas it set as a mirror or stripping?

ProtoSD

MVP
Here's a link that should help. You'll need a new good disk and then follow the directions in the link:

Replace / Create Disk in a Mirror

Note: You'll have to improvise, these instructions are for adding a disk to a single disk with existing files to create a mirror, but you just need to pull out the bad disk and put in a new one and it's basically the same.

NHRA-NO-2

Cadet
Thanks protosd, I will try that. Hopefully it won't be that hard. I looked at the link you suggested, and I am not sure I understand whats going on. Is this being done thru some sort of command line? Also, can you explain whats going on with the exporting and importing? Last question. I had purchased two drives that were exactly the same, will I have to get a exact matching drive as the replacement?

ProtoSD

MVP
No problem. You need to do that stuff from the command line which you can access from the console by choosing #9 on the menu.
The exporting/importing routine, maybe someone can explain it better, but its sort of a way of clearing the cache for the mirror. If you didn't do it, when you tried to import again it would probably tell you something like the pool was already attached to another system. So exporting kind of breaks that old link.

You should probably try to find another drive that's the same, you could run into problems if the drive were slightly smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.