Trying to import my volume with a missing drive, the other four drives are good.

manusamoa

Dabbler
I have a Raid I exported the volume to troubleshoot but now one of the drives is completely dead and not available. Is there anyway I can import the volume with one of the drives missing to rebuild the data? I know the drives were striped. I just need to import the volume somehow.

blueether

Patron
so you had 5 drives of this sort of layout:
5 x 1TB as a stripe to give 5TB of storage? with no redundancy (no raidz-x)?

Hi @manusamoa, if @blueether's interpretation of your setup is correct you likely cannot import your data. Lets clarify just to see what situation you're in.

I have a Raid I exported the volume to troubleshoot but now one of the drives is completely dead and not available. . . I know the drives were striped
This isn't very clear. Would you mind checking out this terminology primer and then explaining exactly what your system's setup is?

Specifically, within your pool what is the vdev arrangement?

Do you perhaps have 1 vdev of all 5 disks in a RAIDZ1 arrangement?
Code:
Pool
  RAIDZ1 vdev
    disk0
    disk1
    disk2
    disk3
    disk4

Or, do you have 5 vdevs each composed of a single disk?
Code:
Pool
  vdev0
    disk0
  vdev1
    disk1
  vdev2
    disk2
  vdev3
    disk3
  vdev4
    disk4

*: This representation is for illustrative purposes only. This is not how zfs reports pool structures of this type.

The difference is huge because in the second case if one drive went down you lost the entire pool.

Keep in mind that pools are made of one or more vdevs. Vdevs are made of one or more disks. If you lose a single vdev in a pool you lose the entire pool. It is therefore very important to have redundancy within your vdevs.

With all of the drives plugged in what do you get when you type zpool import? Feel free to copy-paste the output here and put it in code tags like the following.

[CODE]
copy-pasted data here
[/CODE]

manusamoa

Dabbler
so you had 5 drives of this sort of layout:
5 x 1TB as a stripe to give 5TB of storage? with no redundancy (no raidz-x)?
Correct, no hot spare or Raid5, I wanted to utilize as much disk space as I could. I know that was risky.

manusamoa

Dabbler
Hi @manusamoa, if @blueether's interpretation of your setup is correct you likely cannot import your data. Lets clarify just to see what situation you're in.

This isn't very clear. Would you mind checking out this terminology primer and then explaining exactly what your system's setup is?

Specifically, within your pool what is the vdev arrangement?

Do you perhaps have 1 vdev of all 5 disks in a RAIDZ1 arrangement?
Code:
Pool
  RAIDZ1 vdev
    disk0
    disk1
    disk2
    disk3
    disk4

Or, do you have 5 vdevs each composed of a single disk?
Code:
Pool
  vdev0
    disk0
  vdev1
    disk1
  vdev2
    disk2
  vdev3
    disk3
  vdev4
    disk4

*: This representation is for illustrative purposes only. This is not how zfs reports pool structures of this type.

The difference is huge because in the second case if one drive went down you lost the entire pool.

Keep in mind that pools are made of one or more vdevs. Vdevs are made of one or more disks. If you lose a single vdev in a pool you lose the entire pool. It is therefore very important to have redundancy within your vdevs.

With all of the drives plugged in what do you get when you type zpool import? Feel free to copy-paste the output here and put it in code tags like the following.

[CODE]
copy-pasted data here
[/CODE]
Thanks, I am pretty sure they were setup at 5 vdevs. The drives were all different sizes and started my pool with 3 then added more over time.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Correct, no hot spare or Raid5, I wanted to utilize as much disk space as I could. I know that was risky.
If your understanding of your pool layout is correct, then all data on that pool is lost unless you can get the fifth disk online.

Hi @manusamoa, you may find this guide to vdevs etc useful as well as the terminology primer I mentioned above. These will give you a good idea of how to design your pool layout to take advantage of the data integrity features of zfs and FreeNAS.