Various newbie questions - HBA recommendations, PCIe bifurcation, networking, pool setup ++

LarsR

Guru
Those reported temps in the truenas gui are false, the 1600x has a +20°C offset.

Valantar

Dabbler
Those reported temps in the truenas gui are false, the 1600x has a +20°C offset.
Ah, I had completely forgotten about that shenanigans (given that most Windows reporting software reads more accurate sensors these days). IMO a needlessly confusing and weird choice on AMD's side, but I guess it is what it is. Hm. That makes the thermals actually pretty decent, though of course that is with a fan running full tilt through the cooler. I might just replace the fan then. Thanks!

Valantar

Dabbler
I'm also using a ryzen 1600x and an msi x370 bord. You will most likely have to disable global c-states and amd Cool&Quit in your bios.
If those 2 settings are not disabled it's possible that your NAS will freeze after 2-3 days of uptime and you need to do a hard reset.
Just reporting back on this, as I haven't wanted to shut the NAS down and take it out of its cubby yet - something I'd need to do to get into its BIOS. (I should get some sort of portable monitor!) After a reboot to fix some stupid configuration mistakes I made, I'm now on ~3.7 days of uptime with no issues that I can tell (before rebooting uptime was >5d). It's worth noting that I have turbo/core performance boost disabled (3.6GHz is by itself far more than I need for a NAS), as well as having the idle power set to ... is it normal? Standard? Something like that, to avoid the intermittent shutdown issue that some early Ryzens have with that set to auto or low power. C-states are enabled though, and I haven't touched Cool&Quiet.

sretalla