Many questions before new setup

coredump

Cadet
So, couple of questions before I start a new setup. I have now a jury rigged setup with OMV and USB (garbage :fire:) storage, running on a notebook that I use a bunch of docker stuff to run plex/media organizers/etc. I am getting a real server with real connectors for disks, but that server doesn't have a good video card and the plex situation may not be ideal (maybe I add a video card for transcoding later, but that would need docker/nvidia runtime support). I think I can probably run TrueNAS as a NAS only system, SMB for the house windows computers, and run my docker stuff on the current notebook (very good CPU and an Nvidia Card for transcodings) that will basically just compute stuff and read/save to the NAS. That said:

- TrueNAS Scale, Core? I am more versed in Linux than BSD, but then again if most of the stuff will be web/interface managed I don't care.
- How to share stuff between NAS/"compute notebook" for docker? CEPH? Gluster? iSCSI? They are going to be connected via Gbit ethernet and same switch, but nothing fancy as link aggregation (since the notebook doesn't have a lot of ethernet options unless I get a USB-C dock or something).
- Any other ideas that I didn't think about?

And storage:
- I currently have 6x3TB disks for the ZFS storage. I have space for a total of eight, maybe nine disks for future expansion. Considering how zpools and vdev works, what would be a future proof, not terrible way to organize the disks? Or it doesn't really matter and should just do a raidz2 six disks vdev and in the future add two more disks of whatever size to another vdev and expand the pool? (I think vdevz in the pool have to have the same `type` tho? Like raidz2 and etc?)