ZVol Replication issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDLR

Cadet
Hello,

We are using some virtualised FreeNAS installations (Build FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE (a2dc21583)) on Dell servers amd ESXi 6.5 hypervisors with enterprise SSDs on LSI 9271 IT-Mode HBAs passed-through to the FreeNAS VMs.
So far they have proven very dependable.

I successfully replicated a Dataset containing 2 ZVols by the semi-auto method via VPN from one server to anothe after creating a periodic snapshot.
On the primary (sending) site, those 2 ZVols serve as ISCSi extents in a vSphere environment flawlessly.

However, on the receiving site I can only use one of the two ZVols as an extent for iSCSI sharing, which works perfectly with ESXi (after cloning a snapshot and removing the Read-Only attibute.)
After I select the second ZVol in the drop-down menu for adding an extent in the iSCSI Sharing section, I get the following error message in the menu itself:
<< Zvol "zvol/tank2/MasterDR/xxx/xxxVMSystems211-clone-auto-20170705.1658-2m" does not exist >>

I also tried to mount the replicated ZVol directly without doing a snapshot, but I get the same error.

When I try to copy the ZVol by ZFS send | recv, I also get the following error:
<< cannot open 'zvol/tank2/MasterDR/xxx/xxxVMSystems211': dataset does not exist
cannot receive: failed to read from stream >>

Then I tried to directly replicate only the ZVol, which completed succssfully, incrementally several time with with auto-snapshots. I got the same error.

The replications seem to succeed and the space used is visible in the Storage section of the GUI, but the systems keeps telling that the ZVol doesn't exist.

I also tried to set the zfs set volmode=geom on the device and reboot, without success.

Would anyone be able to share some hints or ideas on where to look ?

Many thanks !

D

dlavigne

That's interesting. Does updating to -U1 fix it? If not, please create a report at bugs.freenas.org that includes your system debug (from System -> Advanced -> Save Debug) and post the issue number here. Note that the ticket will be hidden from others until the dev has a chance to review the debug.

MDLR

Cadet
Updating to U1 did not solve the problem.

I have filed a report and the issue number is: 25035

Thanks !

MDLR

Cadet
Ok, it happened that the path/name exceeded 63 characters.

Renaming it solved the issue and thanks to the FreeNAS team for looking promptly in this !

However the replication seed is lost, meaning that the job will have to be reset and hundreds of gigs will have to go through the WAN again.

It would be great if the Replication UI could forbid the creation of too long file names, or provide a mean to modify it afterwards without loosing the seed :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.