ZPOOL Upgrade safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueman

Dabbler
Hi all,

I logged into the GUI of my FreeNAS today and had the following alert:

WARNING: The volume Data (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: The pool is formatted using an older on-disk format. The pool can still be used, but some features are unavailable.Upgrade the pool using 'zpool upgrade'. Once this is done, the pool will no longer be accessible on older software versions.

I started following the guide here - http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Upgrading_FreeNAS#Upgrading_a_ZFS_Pool - to upgrade the zpool, but when I got to the command "zpool status -x" instead of getting a "all pools are healthy" response, I got the attached image.

healthy zpool.jpg

My concern is whether I will do damage to my data if I try to upgrade when everything appears ok now. My concern is with the alert above showing my volume as 'UNKNOWN'.

Any advice on how I can go about upgrading it, do you think it is safe to do so?

Thanks!

warri

Guru
zpool status with the -x parameter should only list unavailable pools or pools with errors. I'm not sure why it displays something in your case, but the upgrade should be safe, since your pool seems to be healthy: 'errors: No known data errors'.

On a second thought:
The message seems to be cut off due to display resolution. Can you connect to your NAS via SSH and issue the command there, so that you can see and copy the whole message?

blueman

Dabbler
All is good, I ran the upgrade anyway and all appears to be fine.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.