ZoneMinder newbie hardware recommendations

nikinp

Contributor
Since everyone here is trying to get ZoneMinder to work, does anyone have recommendations or suggestions of basic cameras that work well with ZoneMinder on Freenas without too much additional config/has good support. Or where to fund such recommendations?
I'm looking for 720p cameras indoor and out, direct power with ethernet/WiFi.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Generally the Zoneminder forums have that information... Nothing special about running it on FreeNAS as far as IP camera selection goes.

I have seen a lot of recommendation for Hikvision cameras as a good mix of pricepoint and functionality... they will work for sure.

Whe3zy

Dabbler
This is the model I plan on buying Anpviz

Also see ZoneMinder Wiki

My question....Is there a Hub box that I need to buy, that all of the cameras connect to, and then from that Box, a USB or Ethernet cable connection then goes to my TrusNAS box?

Redcoat

MVP
My question....Is there a Hub box that I need to buy, that all of the cameras connect to, and then from that Box, a USB or Ethernet cable connection then goes to my TrusNAS box?
Sounds like you may need a "switch". Think about whether you will use PoE (Power over Ethernet) cameras and choose a PoE-capable switch accordingly. Also consider using wireless cameras to reduce ethernet cabling but you'll still have to provide them with power.
I believe you have some reading to do...

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I bought a 180W ubiquiti 8-port edgeswitch for that purpose. It more than covers the needs for the cameras and it has two SFP ports that allow you to run a optical connection back to your server or CPU.

I prefer a optical link between the POE switch and anything else in case there is a lightning strike or act of sabotage. Limits damage potential to just the switch and the cameras.

Note emphasis on SFP, not SFP+. In my experience, one cannot mix and match transceivers the way one can with copper networks, they don't necessarily auto-negotiate a speed. While two 10GbE SFP+ transceivers pushed into the Edgeswitch can communicate with each other just fine, the same combination of transceivers using a 10GbE Mikrotik switch and the EdgeSwitch will fail to negotiate. I had to buy SFP 1GbE transceivers and thankfully those can be used in the Mikrotik SFP+ slots.

Also: consider attaching your cameras to a movable pole before going through the trouble of drilling holes and running wires for a hard install. You might find a better installation location through some trial and error than via planning unless you know the cameras, lenses (fields of view), etc well. My cameras consume about 3W each so the edgeswitch just laughs re: the load. Running CAT6 to each location helps re voltage drop but between the load, the line length, and the voltages involved, that’s usually a minor issue.

Last edited: