ZFS Volume usage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all !
Let say I created a volume with 2 drives in mirror in FreeNAS.
Let say, I did a TimeMachine backup of my new MAC on it.
Is it possible to detach this volume and remove the 2 drives to put those aside for a while and reuse it to restore my Mac later ?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Technically, yes. (EDIT: I should add you would have to plug them back into FreeNAS, you couldn't just attach them to the machine you wanted to restore)

May I ask why you are doing this though? Seems like in that case you should just purchase a USB HDD.

Technically, yes. (EDIT: I should add you would have to plug them back into FreeNAS, you couldn't just attach them to the machine you wanted to restore)

May I ask why you are doing this though? Seems like in that case you should just purchase a USB HDD.

I know I would have to plug those back to FreeNAS and it is ok for me. The 2 drives in FreeNAS would have been created in mirror to be on the safe side. A Usb drive is not safe alone. Then, I would like to know the procedure or the steps to detach or remove safely those 2 drives in mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.