ZFS status unknown after update from 8.0.4 to 8.2 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljk

Dabbler
Hello,

I just updated our FreeNAS 8.0.4 Installation to 8.2 RELEASE. I used "FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.xz" for the GUI Upgrade and everything seems to be ok - except that after each reboot FreeNAS could'nt detect the zfs volume :(

The volume is named "data". The Web-GUI shows this alert after rebooting:

Code:
WARNING: The volume data (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN

If I detach the volume and use "Auto Import", everything is working again - but after a reboot, I have the same error. The volume status is ok:

Code:
zpool status
  pool: data
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub stopped after 0h1m with 0 errors on Fri Jul 20 22:35:29 2012
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	data        ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada0p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada1p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada2p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada3p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    ada4p2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

(I started a scrub but stopped it manually a few minutes ago)

So what do you suggest - should I install FreeNAS 8.2 clean from the Image / ISO and import the config file after that?

trevize

Cadet
Yes me too. I did the above as well. Seems to be ok. I used the GUI upgrade method from 8.2 beta4.

I'm doing a scrub now and going to let it finish. Then reboot again and see what happens.

ProtoSD

MVP
It's a bug, there already a "p1" release to fix it. Take a look at the 8.2 Announcement thread.

mm7979

Cadet
ZFS status still unknown after 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1 -> 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1

I'm getting the GUI yellow alert throbber claiming my zfs status is unknown after a doing CD update from 8.0.3-RELEASE-p1 to 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1. The update did not seem to have any issues. The GUI shows: FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950). /var/log/messages does not show any errors or complaints.

I looked at the posted solution here: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?7866-FreNAS-8-2-0-RELEASE&p=31886&viewfull=1#post31886. I was able to detach are reattach the zfs volume, however, it still claimed it was unknown. I would have tried the console commands, however, I do not have the file firmware.img in /var/tmp/firmware. I'm looking for the simplest solution. Would just installing 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1 on a different USB stick (I did backup the system configuration before starting the update) and starting from there help? Or is something more fundamental going on? The posted solution does not seem to match my configuration (missing firmware.img) so I'm reluctant to just fire away. Any suggestions appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, if you are having issues with other files (/var/tmp/firmware) it sounds like your thumbdrive or OS may be corrupt. You should be able to get to console and execute an import of the zpool without any errors.

The thing to keep in mind is as long as you don't create a new vdev/zpool on those drives, your data is still there. Perhaps backup your config files from the current USB key and try a different one with a fresh install of 8.2p1?

mm7979

Cadet
Took your suggestion and built a new usb drive and imported the saved configuration. Still have yellow alert flashing. Storage -> Volume Manager shows healthy array (41% used). The Alert System message says this:

WARNING: The volume V1-2Tx4z1 (ZFS) status is UNKNOWN: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the entire pool from backup.

From the console:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status
pool: V1-2Tx4z1
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
corruption. Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
entire pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scrub: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
V1-2Tx4z1 ONLINE 0 0 0
raidz1 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada1p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada2p2 ONLINE 0 0 0
ada3p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: 1 data errors, use '-v' for a list
[root@freenas ~]#

Which contradicts the Volume Manager. Where to go from here?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You may have to perform a scrub to make the error go away. I've never had data corruption before. I've always had a message telling me data corruption has occurred but the data redundancy fixed the issue.

When was the last time you scrubbed your system?

mm7979

Cadet
Did not follow up sooner, as I wanted to see if zpool scrub fixed the issue. (actually deleted the file and then scrubbed). It did. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.