ZFS setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bboy8012

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm looking to build a 45 drive FreeNAS media server and am looking for a recommendation of an optimal setup for the system. I plan on eventually filling all 45 bays full of 10TB drives. My first question is which is optimal and most storage for media storage 9x5 vdevs RaidZ2, 5x9 vdevs RaidZ1 or 3x15 vdevs RaidZ2. I plan to add 280GB Optane drives for SLOG/L2ARC. System specs are:
Chenbro 40700
Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+
(2) Intel E-2670 v2
128GB ECC RAM
(1) Mellonax ConnectX3 40GB NIC
(1) 32GB SataDom for FreeNas

Thanks

Inxsible

Guru
most storage for media storage 9x5 vdevs RaidZ2, 5x9 vdevs RaidZ1 or 3x15 vdevs RaidZ2.
Usually it is advised to not go beyond 8 drives per vdev for performance's sake. Given the same number of drives, RAIDZ1 will always give you more storage space than RAIDZ2 at the cost of redundancy.
plan to add 280GB Optane drives for SLOG/L2ARC.
Are you sure you need one or the other or both?
(1) Mellonax ConnectX3 40GB NIC
Do you know if that is compatible with FreeNAS/FreeBSD in terms of drivers and such?
(1) 32GB SataDom for FreeNas
Why not simply use a SSD? Gives you much better wear leveling and is not as finicky as a SataDOM

IQless

Contributor
With 10TB drives, RAIDZ1 should not be considered. Go with at least RAIDZ2.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I agree with @IQless, RAIDZ2 is sensible considering resilver time.

I think you should look at the RAM before considering L2ARC with 450TB of raw storage, you're going to need to think about 256GB or even 512GB of RAM to get good performance over time. Remember that adding boat-loads of L2ARC is no good as it steals RAM to manage the tables (about 1GB of RAM for each 10GB of L2ARC).

SLOG/ZIL is only helpful if you want a lot of Synchronous writes (usually for ISCSI VM targets), so it's not clear from the above if you really need it.

More VDEVS in your pool = more performance. Perhaps you can consider 7x 6 drive VDEVS in RAIDZ2 with a few open slots (to use for burning in and during resilvering with the dying disk still in the pool) or hot-spares. I know this proposal loses you quite a lot of storage, but you will need to decide the trade-off between storage, performance and data protection/redundancy.

A little experimentation with this site: http://wintelguy.com/zfs-calc.pl

might help you make the decision.

With my recommendation, you will be able to use 195 TB

With 5 x 9 drive VDEVs in RAIDZ2, you could have 238TB at your disposal. (but probably not as good performance and no free drive slots for burn-in/resilvering)

sretalla