ZFS Replication Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hescominsoon

Patron
I have @250 gigs i wish to replicate from a remote site to my FreeNAS server. The uplink at the other location is pokey so I will be limiting it to 2 megabits so the initial replication will take a while. Looking at the scheduling interface will the replication run until it completes or will it stop at any point(barring network connectivity problems and the obvious). The amount of data generated per day is low so further replications will not take long as i intend to run the replication task nightly.

Is there any way to "seed" the replication data from the remote system onto an external drive and dump it onto my server here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there any way to "seed" the replication data from the remote system onto an external drive and dump it onto my server here?
Yes, you can redirect the output of zfs send into a file (be sure to use the same settings you'd use normally) and sneakernet that file around, after which you can pipe it into the standard input of zfs recv

hescominsoon

Patron
Yes, you can redirect the output of zfs send into a file (be sure to use the same settings you'd use normally) and sneakernet that file around, after which you can pipe it into the standard input of zfs recv
Will the replication go until it completes? I can set things up remotely but the remote unit is distant...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I'm understanding your confusion correctly, this should clarify it:

The initial sneakernet zfs send/recv has to happen before you try to send more over the network. You can't mix and match them simultaneously.

hescominsoon

Patron
If I'm understanding your confusion correctly, this should clarify it:

The initial sneakernet zfs send/recv has to happen before you try to send more over the network. You can't mix and match them simultaneously.
No confusion...I do want to know about the initial replication...will it run to completion or will it only go until a certain time? Depending on how long it might take me to get there the initial replication may be the faster option.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The process will just continue until it finishes or dies trying or the system goes down.

hescominsoon

Patron
The process will just continue until it finishes or dies trying or the system goes down.
Ok thanks..[emoji3]

hescominsoon

Patron
To res this thread. The initial replication is jsut going to take too long and the remote connection isn't all that stable. Since there's no easy way for one who is not intimately familiar with BSD to resume an interrupted replicaiton...can i use the gui to redirect the initial replication to an external hard drive(it will be a usb drive). If so can i import that data to an existing spot on the other end using the gui? if not how what would be the command for that?

hescominsoon

Patron
I found a workaround for restarting a replication. I edited the snapshot task for 5 minutes..waited for the snapshot to get created. This jump started the replication...I then reset the snapshot back to its 12 hour run and disabled it so the replication would complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.