Problems using USB drive sneakernet to seed incremental replication

alugowski

Dabbler
My home FreeNAS, let's call it Sender, has a handful of datasets that I'd like to replicate off-site to another FreeNAS, let's call it Receiver. I already had a Replication Task that would copy those datasets to a pool named usb_backup that lives on an external USB drive. My home upload speed is terrible, and I'm traveling to the remote location anyway, I thought I'd export and travel with usb_backup and use that as a seed for a new incremental backup.

I arrived, and copied the datasets to Receiver using zfs send usb_backup/foo | zfs receive tank/foo.

I then went to set up a new Replication Task on Receiver that will pull that same dataset from Sender. When I did so I got this message:

Destination dataset does not contain any snapshots that can be used as a basis for the incremental changes in the snapshots being sent. The snapshots in the destination dataset will be deleted and the replication will begin with a complete initial copy.

I read that it's possible to do what I'm trying to do, so what did I do wrong? Is it possible to salvage my replication seed? A full transfer will take two weeks, I'd like to avoid that.

sretalla