ZFS POOL Help

cndlovu

Cadet
I had about 20tb on a pool in TrueNas and I wanted to expand the pool so I watched this video
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11bWnvCwTOU

I then expanded my pool but It did not extend the Drive in the Windows server How do I make it increase space from 20tb to 30tb without losing Data from the drives.
Also I did the ZFSlogs after watching this video
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4DLChRXJog&t=0s

My question is currently I have the SYNC on the pool enabled because I did not have a ZFS log now I do should I disable this and how does it affect my data?
Finally Let’s say I got 2 more SSD (same size as what we have) and we want to add them as spare drives. Do we make another VDEV and add them BOTH or do we make 2 VDEV and add 1 each? Just not sure how the SPARE VDEV works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arwen

MVP
It is helpful to review the Forum Rules conveniently located at the top of each forum page.

In this case, please describe your hardware, TrueNAS version, and supply the output of zpool status & zfs list -r in code tags. Further, what did you do to expand your pool? (We generally don't watch Youtube videos on TrueNAS or ZFS, as many are either targeted to a specific sub-topic. Or are mis-leading.)

Without that information, we are guessing why your pool did not increase in size.

On the issue of a SLOG, (aka Separate Log). The average user does not need a SLOG vDev, and the general rule of thumb is that if you have to ask if you need one, you don't need one. All ZFS pools have a ZFS log, either internal to the pool's data disks. Or a separate vDev called a "log", (aka SLOG).

Spares are added one at a time. But wait on that until the issue with the pool expansion is solved before you take this on.

cndlovu

Cadet
I added extra vdevs into the pool to expand it. I can see the extra space in the TrueNas but not in the windows shared drive.

here are the outputs I get from true nas

Attachments

• zpoolstatus.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 68
  • zfslist.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 58

Arwen

MVP
It would appear you have a zVol in the mix;
Code:
NAME                                                   USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
ENCRYPTED_POOL_01/viperiscsiafa                       38.2T  19.5T      287K  /mnt/ENCRYPTED_POOL_01/viperiscsiafa
ENCRYPTED_POOL_01/viperiscsiafa/viperiscsiafa         38.2T  46.3T     11.4T  -

What do you mean by "windows shared drive"?

Is that mounted with Samba?
Or are you using iSCSI as the name above indicates?

I am not very good with zVols & iSCSI... so if that is what you are using, perhaps someone else will be able to help further.

Whattteva

Wizard
I had about 20tb on a pool in TrueNas and I wanted to expand the pool so I watched this video TrueNAS: How To Expand A ZFS Pool - YouTube
I then expanded my pool but It did not extend the Drive in the Windows server How do I make it increase space from 20tb to 30tb without losing Data from the drives.
I don't feel like watching that YouTube, so could you just state what exactly you tried to do to expand the pool? What is this Windows Server's role in here? Is it a VM that's using a ZVOL that you tried to expand? If it is, then in addition to increasing the volsize property on the ZVOL, you also have to resize the partition of the VM disk using some sort of repartitioning tool (eg. Gparted) for the VM to see it.

cndlovu

Cadet
This is what I want to change from 20tb to 30tb but will it delete all my data is the major question.
1675450215982.png

cndlovu

Cadet
I don't feel like watching that YouTube, so could you just state what exactly you tried to do to expand the pool? What is this Windows Server's role in here? Is it a VM that's using a ZVOL that you tried to expand? If it is, then in addition to increasing the volsize property on the ZVOL, you also have to resize the partition of the VM disk using some sort of repartitioning tool (eg. Gparted) for the VM to see it.

It would appear you have a zVol in the mix;
Code:
NAME                                                   USED  AVAIL     REFER  MOUNTPOINT
ENCRYPTED_POOL_01/viperiscsiafa                       38.2T  19.5T      287K  /mnt/ENCRYPTED_POOL_01/viperiscsiafa
ENCRYPTED_POOL_01/viperiscsiafa/viperiscsiafa         38.2T  46.3T     11.4T  -

What do you mean by "windows shared drive"?

Is that mounted with Samba?
Or are you using iSCSI as the name above indicates?

I am not very good with zVols & iSCSI... so if that is what you are using, perhaps someone else will be able to help further.
I am using ISCI. So I would want to login to the VM and expand the drive on disk management hopefully it detects there is more storage.

Whattteva

Wizard
This is what I want to change from 20tb to 30tb but will it delete all my data is the major question.
View attachment 63282
No, it will not. Going from smaller size to bigger size is safe. Going the reverse way, however, can result in data loss if not done properly. Again, just simply increasing the ZVOL size isn't enough for the VM to see it. You also need to resize the partition of the VM disk device. Either that, or you make a new VM disk device and use dd to clone the smaller drive over to the bigger one, but resizing in general, is less hassle.