ZFS on TrueNAS or Proxmox?

rankok

Cadet
Hello,

Hey everyone, I need some help deciding on the "best practice" when selecting and creating a home lab storage on Proxmox.

In short, I want to create storage that I will use for data storage and for storing NextCloud files. Therefore, I need assistance in determining what would be the better choice.

I have attached a diagram to visualize my idea.

1. Proxmox passthrough disks to VM TrueNAS Scale (currently in use)
or
2. Creating ZFS on Proxmox and utilizing that on TrueNAS Scale?

Proxmox_TrueNAS_ZFS.jpg

smartypantsuk

Dabbler
You can't, or rather shouldn't do the latter as you would have zfs on zfs.
PCI Passthrough is the only reliable method to host Truenas in virtualisation.
You could however, omit Truenas and just setup zfs pool on Proxmox, then install Cockpit in an LXC Container to setup and manage SMB/NFS shares on the host. I'm currently exploring this.

rankok

Cadet
You could however, omit Truenas and just setup zfs pool on Proxmox, then install Cockpit in an LXC Container to setup and manage SMB/NFS shares on the host. I'm currently exploring this.
Hi, thank you for the reply :)

Hmm, I didn't plan to use ZFS on ZFS but, when you mentioned... yes I didn't consider how to utilize the created ZFS pool on Prozmox to import it to TrueNAS.
Is there no option to import the existing ZFS Pool to TrueNAS?

smartypantsuk

Dabbler
Hi, thank you for the reply :)

Hmm, I didn't plan to use ZFS on ZFS but, when you mentioned... yes I didn't consider how to utilize the created ZFS pool on Prozmox to import it to TrueNAS.
Is there no option to import the existing ZFS Pool to TrueNAS?
You should be able to import zpools from Proxmox to Truenas yes, also the other way around.
But only attempt this if the controller is being passed by PCI Passthrough.

If not, you shall suffer the loss and pain of data gone.

smartypantsuk

Dabbler
Cockpit = is similar to Webmin and maybe greater in GUI and features.
That's true, but i don't like the fact that webmin was identified as having backdoors in their software which they didn't know where they came from , apparently. Also, while that may have been dealt with, I'm not risking it.
On the same theme, Cockpit is very light weight, lighter than Webmin I reckon.
But you take you choice, Cockpit does what I need.

Pavlinchen

Dabbler
Hi Mate,
I'm also looking into doing that at the moment as I need local storage for my applications but don't want to work with ISCSI.
Could you share your progress?