ZFS Compression & AFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

riorben

Cadet
Howdy. I am not sure if this is even possible but I guess it can't hurt to ask. I am testing a 4 disk ZFS Raid-z1 array with lzjb compression and dataset quotas shared over AFP for Time Machine. Just the fact I can include all those features in the same sentence is awesome, but it also leads to a pretty important question for my use scenario:

Say I have a dataset "Tom's backup" with a 200GB AFP share. If I copy a 100GB file to it the OSX finder then shows 120GB free due to the compression enabled server side. Is it possible for the uncompressed file size to be used for quotas? As in, there would be only 100GB free shown after 100GB is added to the 200GB dataset / AFP share?

Thanks a bunch for any tips, or even just this isn't possible if it isn't.

~ Ben

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm not sure that you can do it because of the intent of the quota system...

To be quite honest, I'm not sure why you'd care about the uncompressed size. The point of quotas is to prevent someone from using up a large % of the server. If the user are lucky enough to have a bunch of highly compressible files, that's their luck. They aren't exactly using more than their fair share. It would be equivalent to compressing everything on your network share. You aren't going to punish the user because they stored zip/gz/rar files instead of text documents would you? That's kind of what you are asking the quota system to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.