Error Code -50 using AFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
I've recently installed FreeNAS 9.3 x64.
Created a volume and dataset which I shared using AFP. If I copy a single file no matter what size it copies to the share 100% ok.

But if I copy what looks like at this stage to be any folder containing files beginning with .nnnn or Aperture files finder throws an Error Code -50 almost straight away.
Out of interest I tried the same setup using NAS4Free 9.2.0.1.972 interestingly no problems what-so-ever, all such files appear to copy 100% ok to the share.

Have I missed something with the Volume and Dataset configuration using FreeNAS.
Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

pjc

Contributor
How did you configure your AFP share? (A screenshot of the detailed configuration would be helpful.)

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
Here is the setup for the dataset and AFP share.
The only thing I have thought of is case sensitivity. Should the Dataset be case insensitive?
AFP 01.png
AFP 02.png

pjc

Contributor
I don't think case sensitivity is the issue; that seems to be the default, and the underlying filesystem is case-sensitive.

Most of the hits I find have to do with permissions. What are your dataset's settings? (Storage > Volumes > TVolume > TDataset > Change Permissions)

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
Thanks for your reply pjc.
The obscure error message threw me but have come to the same conclusion, permissions on files not set correctly and as a result killing the copy process rather than .nnn file names. Will investigate further tonight.

RcNorth

Dabbler
Simon, I'm having a similar problem. When I create a directory using Finder in OS X the folder has no permissions on it. If I create a folder using terminal the permissions are set correctly.

Please update this thread if you figure out what is setup incorrectly.

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
Thus far:

1. Corrected permissions on various folders and files on my old Volume and successfully copied the contents of all these folders to the new volume.
  2. Attempted to do the same for an Aperture library but the copy failed throwing an error code -50. I viewed the contents of the library to verify permissions were correctly set.
  3. Something different: Used Aperture to Export the Aperture library from Aperture to the new volume and it succeeded!
  4. I then copied this new Aperture library residing on the new volume to my local HDD and the copy succeeded.
  5. I then copied this new Aperture library now residing on my local HDD to the new volume and it failed throwing an error code -50!

Is Finder the culprit here???

Simon Mackenzie

Dabbler
Yep permissions on the old share had not been correctly set causing unusual copy errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.