Zeroing drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverJS

Patron
Stupid question, but just confirm that FreeNAS shell supports the dd command? I've tried zeroing one of my drives and I've left the command there for almost 24 hours. The "%" doesn't appear, and the computer appears unresponsive, although I can still carry out all commands on the WebGUI.

I don't have a HDD LED working, so I don't know, but I couldn't really hear it anyways with all the other drives around...

Thanks!

pauldonovan

Explorer
Yes, dd works file from a FreeNAS shell. But only a modified version of dd for Windows provides any ongoing progress - usually it just sits there blankly until it's finished, then reports how many records it changed.

How big is the drive, and what command have you used?

SilverJS

Patron
500 Gb. How long should that take? I used :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2

Will that work? Ada2 is my 500 Gb system drive - or rather, the one I was planning on using as a system drive for FreeBSD. I'll probably just stick with FreeNAS for now.

500 GB, depends on the controller it's on and the disk. id's say a few hours hour and a half for good conditions (100 MB/s) and 7 hours for poor conditions (20 MB/s)

remember dd doesn't report anything until it's done, no % or any feedback.

SilverJS

Patron
OK - mine's been going on for 24 hours now. I think I might take the drive back...

sjieke

Contributor
Did you specify the block size for the dd command? If not I don't know what the default is for the dd command, but if it is small you will get terrible performance.
I would try again by using a blocksize of 2048k or 4096k.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada2 bs=4096k

Status
Not open for further replies.