SOLVED "You have insufficient privileges to reply here" (Is this a forum bug?)

I noticed a particular thread, created today (currently with 0 replies), in which there is no Reply button, but rather in its place is the following message:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

The thread can be found in the list of "What's new", and it seems to exist in some sort of purgatory. It's directly under General Help, but not under any sub-forum. o_O (Scroll down to the bottom of the page of the General Help parent forum.)

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I have not looked to find what you mention yet, but this does sound odd. XenForo provides the message "You have insufficient privileges to reply here." to anyone, including mods and possibly admins, if either privileges are disabled in some way or other settings would cause no reply to be possible even if ordinarily it would be possible and that user would normally be able. At this moment I am not sure if it is an oversight, a deleted message, or some other oddness, or if it is intentional but that XenForo acts a little weirdly.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Ok. I will have to look a bit deeper but the weird post seems to be not quite intentional. Someone may have been "quick on the draw" and posted to a category rather than to any sub-forum the category contained. I would be okay with having this possible for those posts before they are sorted by a mod, but this would mean extra work. I will have to see if the category is set to allow posts itself and if i can move that post to a more appropriate place (should be able if not a bug or corrupted in some way on the XenForo side).

Another likely reason this post was in a strange place, is if it were moved but mistakenly placed into the parent "General help" rather than its child, "General." I have moved this 'offending' post to its appropriate location but left a redirect which will vanish in 1 week.

The message in the lower right about permissions is likely to remain, it is an indicator that none are able to make a post there. I'd certainly prefer if XenForo did not offer a pre-warning for such a situation. Another correction here might be to change the 'General Help' forum which is not meant to accept posts into a category which by default does not handle posting at all.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
The "container" forum which was not intended to permit posts now has been converted into a category with the same sub-forums. This means that there can be no "You have insufficient privileges to reply here." notice and the display in general is a little different.

Thanks much! Perfect! It's working now, I just checked. :smile:

Someone may have been "quick on the draw" and posted to a category rather than to any sub-forum the category contained.
That's interesting, because when I tried to "re-create" such a post for my own curiosity, it would not let me start a new topic unless I first chose a sub-forum.

The fabric of time and space might have be torn at just the right moment!

Last edited:

markuslacht

Cadet
Any idea why I cannot reply here:
1678043355777.png

LarsR

Guru
Because they closed down the General Help section of the foum and switched it to read only.

t0maz

Cadet
Is the Hardware forum closed down as well?
I’m unable to reply to posts there.
Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The keyword there is LEGACY, as in FreeNAS (Legacy Software Releases).
I can't think of a good reason to post a new thread there. If you can, or if you come across a thread that shouldn't be locked, please use the report functionality or otherwise contact the mod team.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
Yes, 'legacy' but even reduced support that legacy designation may have afforded has expired. FreeBSD itself does not support older than version 13.x. The information contained is kept for historical or future research purposes.

Those posts which were placed in the wrong forum can be moved when found, identified.

The archive category which it is now under has default permissions which disallow posts etc, the permissions are intended to be inherited to all those forum nodes under it, the entire hierarchy.