Yet another permissions question

Status
Not open for further replies.

klompen

Cadet
I'm sure that permissions have to be the most asked category here, and I hate to add another, but I'm struggling.

My goal is to use FreeNAS with the PLEX plug-in to provide a media server that my smart TV can access. I've got a Windows Workgroup environment. I want the members of my family to have read-write permissions to the files on the FreeNAS server when accessing from a Windows system. I want guests in my home (and likely family tablets) to have read-only access.

After watching The Internet Monkey's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxggaE935PM) I thought I had it nailed. My family members are in a group called Family, which has full access to the shared dataset. The permissions on the dataset are set for Windows (SMB), the owner (user) is Nobody, and the owner (group) is Family. I enabled Guest Access, thinking that users who were not part of Family would have read-only access, but I found that my non-Family user also had the ability to create, modify, and delete files.

I'm stumped by how to get from where I am to where I want to be. I read something about changing guest so that it refers to a specific user, but I haven't yet figured out how to do that. Is this the right approach or should I be doing something different.

Thanks for your patience and your help!

klompen

Cadet
Where I am stumbling at the moment is that The Internet Monkey's videos show an "Auxiliary Groups" portion of the Samba share permissions, but I never see that. I also can't seem to find where to assign the permissions for my auxiliary group. I have a group called "myguest" with just one user in it named myguest. I figure if I could assign this user or group read-only permissions that I could also use the auxiliary command of "force user = myguest" so that anyone coming in who does not have a FreeNAS account would get the permissions of myguest, which I would have set to read only.

Status
Not open for further replies.