Yet another 'my first nas thread'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezh

Cadet
Hi everyone!
My primary goal from nas is - 4 hdd, gig eth, cool and quiet as possible (fanless psu and cpu, maybe one quiet 120mm fan).
From nas i want:
  • run torrents 24x7
  • watch hd video by network via gig switch on my netgeat neotv 550
  • store itunes library on nas
  • access to shares from pc and mac

I've read many topics, and come to this hardware:

MB: ASRock E350M1/USB3
chassis: chenbro ES34169 - 120W psu
HDD: 4x samsung HD204UI or WD20EARS (64mb cache) or WD20EADS (32mb cache)
memory: 2x4gb any memory with heatsink, for example
DDR3 4Gb PC3-10666 1333MHz DIMM Corsair XMS3 Classic, CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

Is this hdd ok for nas, or i should go for WD black series for more speed?
is 120 watt psu enough for this hardware?

any considerations?

ProtoSD

MVP
It looks good to me, 4 drives x ~12watts=48w, that leaves 70w for the motherboard (or a couple more drives too). If you're not going to add any power hungry graphics cards etc. the picoPSU should be fine. I sort of wish I had a smaller case (my specs are below), but with the case I have and not using a full size PSU, there's more room for extra disks. So yes, you could get a smaller case without a PSU.

Durkatlon

Patron
Note that the Chenbro case also does not have a PSU. It uses an external power brick. I have 4 of the 180W versions. Beautiful case.

ezh

Cadet
and do i really need to go for 8gb+e350 for ZFS, or i can use intel atom + 4gb + UFS ?

ezh

Cadet
Note that the Chenbro case also does not have a PSU. It uses an external power brick. I have 4 of the 180W versions. Beautiful case.
as i can see on chenbro site - ES34169 has internal psu, and connect to power via standard power cord

B

Bohs Hansen

and do i really need to go for 8gb+e350 for ZFS, or i can use intel atom + 4gb + UFS ?

You might even consider the Neo II. It should perform a little better for a server system (according to bench's) as the e350. But the board selection is very very limited there :)
Also the e450 is here... hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.