Xpenology

Status
Not open for further replies.

wutang200

Dabbler
Just recently stumbled upon this. Anyone out there tried it or have come from it to FreeNAS?

It seems like a cracked version of the Synology DSM system.

xcom

Contributor
Why would you want this on FreeNAS? DSM is it's own operating system....

wutang200

Dabbler
Not wanting it on FreeNAS but thinking of replacing FreeNAS for the Xpenology as it just looks easier to manage stuff without having to rely on the tedious configuration of jails.

wutang200

Dabbler
Just wondered if anyone has come across it before or have used it before and their thoughts before I take the plunge.

Rand

Guru
I run it inside a virtualbox vm on freenas until i migrated everything over - Using things like Photo or Download station mainly.
It's similar to my old physical Box from Synology
I wouldnt use it for a real production system though.

wutang200

Dabbler
I took the plunge and upgraded from FreeNAS to XPEnology and haven't looked back. So much easier to understand and use.

I've not come across something I've not been able to do on it so far. Doubt I'll ever go back to FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I took the plunge and upgraded from FreeNAS to XPEnology and haven't looked back. So much easier to understand and use.

I've not come across something I've not been able to do on it so far. Doubt I'll ever go back to FreeNAS.

The whole thing is so shady there doesn't even seem to be a page detailing what it actually is (from an official source, at least). If you want to trust some random thing off the internet, go ahead, but don't be surprised when it spectacularly fails.

Rand

Guru
Well what it is is clear - a self compiled version of the Synology Diskstation software;)
Whats in it besides that is not clear though.
There doesn't seem to be any traffic flowing out (yet?) that easy part has been checked but all else?

But its a question of trust as always, especially nowadays. Large companies are not neccessarily more trustworthy than shady individuals any more.

But aside from that issue its not really comparable to FreeNas as it is an entire different league in every possible way.
Its consumer oriented and therefore with an easier interface and that is nice in some ways but has too many drawbacks in other ways.

If you're happy with it - great, have fun:)

wutang200

Dabbler
Been running it for a while now as well as some work colleagues and we're all loving it. Stable, secure, user friendly, feature rich spring to mind.

Very happy so far.

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

hervon

Patron
Tried it a few weeks ago on a spare low end PC. Worked fine. Easy to configure. Apps for iPhone are great. Nevertheless, I stopped using it. This port does not seem as robust as FreeNAS. I prefer the reliability of ZFS. I get everything I really need with the plug-ins like miniDLNA, Transmission, FireFly, owncloud and even minecraft (thanks to Cyberdog). Yes FreeNAS is more challenging to setup but I has everything I need!

solarisguy

Guru
It takes days for my data to be restored from the backups... So what kind of data protection is offered? Double parity? Triple parity?

wutang200

Dabbler
It offers double parity but I'm using it as single parity across 4 x 3TB drives. So far it's stability has been rock solid. Data integrity seems pretty good considering how well known Synology are in the world of NAS servers.

So far I have the following features running on mine:

Plex locked under it's own account for security (something that took me days to figure out on the FreeNAS but only an hour on the XPEnology)
Download Station which is a powerful BT client that looks and feels like uTorrent
SFTP access locked to one dedicated account and folder for security (I gave up doing this on FreeNAS as it would list the whole folder structure instead of just connecting to the SFTP folder)
Basic firewall capability. It auto blocks SFTP brute force attacks as well as letting me create rules to lock down incoming and outgoing connections
Web Hosting using CMS packages like WordPress, Joomla, etc (I'll be hosting my WordPress site through it as soon as I get a chance)

It's absolutely perfect for me and my needs as well as secure.

wutang200

Dabbler
Also has a great Resource Monitor for keeping tabs on everything from bandwidth, CPU usage, RAM usage, Connections, Temperatures, etc all from one screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.