SOLVED X10SRH-cF Build Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assembling a server with an X10SRH-cF board and an E5-1620-v4 CPU. I've got a couple of problems/questions:

1. RAM compatibility: I ordered two 16GB Samsung M393A2G40DB0-CPB RAM modules, which is on the approved memory list. I recieved Samsumg M393A2G40EB1-CPB0Q, which is not on the list. I have not yet found any info on whether these two part numbers are in fact equivalent. Do anyone have any info on whether this RAM is expected to be compatible or not? I have queries in with the RAM vendor and Supermicro, but have not heard back yet.

2. The board shows up on IPMI, but will not boot. I select Power ON via IPMI, but nothing seems to happen. I see nothing in the KVM console. The IPMI sensors info shows nothing for any voltages, temperatures, etc. I have tried with the board sitting on cardboard, to ensure nothing is shorting out the back, but I get the same result. Is this an expected result if I have bad or wrong RAM, or does this indicate another problem? I've asked this question to Supermicro, but have not heard back yet.

Thanks for any info.

Kevin

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
@Kevin Horton
It's going to be hard to diagnose without approved RAM, but...
I would try a single stick in the primary slot (see board manual for which slot, some boards are picky about it).
Do you have a speaker on-board for beep codes? Have you tried removing/re-seating the sticks?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
This may help to see the exact difference between the model numbers.
http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global/file/product/DDR4_Product_guide_May15.pdf
This guide was extremely useful. Thanks for the link.

The most important parts of the part number are the same. Supermicro's approved memory is component revision D, and PCB revision 0. The RAM I received is component revision E, and PCB revision 1. It seems like it is a slightly revised, newer version of what is on Supermicro's list, and is very likely compatible. I fear I have a bigger issue here.

I've tried single sticks in the primary RAM slot. No joy. I'll chase down a speaker so I can get beep codes.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
The most important parts of the part number are the same. Supermicro's approved memory is component revision D, and PCB revision 0. The RAM I received is component revision E, and PCB revision 1. It seems like it is a slightly revised, newer version of what is on Supermicro's list, and is very likely compatible. I fear I have a bigger issue here.
The board manufacturers quit testing after a while, so I agree with you that it should be ok. Have you tried checking the BIOS/UEFI version it came with to see if there has been a revision/update?
I would also try clearing the CMOS, but my guess is you have done this already. Good luck!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The board manufacturers quit testing after a while, so I agree with you that it should be ok. Have you tried checking the BIOS/UEFI version it came with to see if there has been a revision/update?
I would also try clearing the CMOS, but my guess is you have done this already. Good luck!
Supermicro is actually pretty good at keeping the QVLs updated over time. Around the release of the 3.0 BIOS for the X10 boards, the QVLs were updated with many new models and standardized across X10 boards.

(X10 LGA1150 boards, that is)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Supermicro is actually pretty good at keeping the QVLs updated over time. Around the release of the 3.0 BIOS for the X10 boards, the QVLs were updated with many new models and standardized across X10 boards.

(X10 LGA1150 boards, that is)
I'm not bad mouthing Supermicro here buddy, but in this case, I hope they dropped the ball on the socket 2011 boards;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not bad mouthing Supermicro here buddy, but in this case, I hope they dropped the ball on the socket 2011 boards;)
The default assumption is that RAM will work. QVLs are more of a guide for dealing with tech support...

"Yes, I am using validated memory, product number so and so"

Dice

Wizard
What if trying using regular power buttons and attaching a screen instead of IPMI?
No POST?

@Kevin Horton
Do you have a speaker on-board for beep codes? Have you tried removing/re-seating the sticks?
The board does have a speaker, but it looks like it is disabled by default.

The manual on page 2-27 says:
Internal Buzzer (SPKR1)
The Internal Buzzer (SP1) is used to provide audible indications for various beep codes. ...

Speaker (JD1)
On the JD1 header, pins 4-7 are used for internal speaker. Close pins 4-7 with a cap to use the speaker.

It isn't clear to me whether by "internal speaker" they are referring to the buzzer on the board, or if they mean a speaker mounted in the chassis.

Question: Are they saying I need a jumper to short pins 4-7 together to enable the on-board speaker? It seems very strange that four pins must be connected to enable a speaker - I would have expected just two pins. Or, are they saying that I would need to use the jumper on those pins if I wanted to use a speaker mounted in the chassis? Or, is there another more likely interpretation?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It isn't clear to me whether by "internal speaker" they are referring to the buzzer on the board, or if they mean a speaker mounted in the chassis.

Question: Are they saying I need a jumper to short pins 4-7 together to enable the on-board speaker? It seems very strange that four pins must be connected to enable a speaker - I would have expected just two pins. Or, are they saying that I would need to use the jumper on those pins if I wanted to use a speaker mounted in the chassis? Or, is there another more likely interpretation?
Well, speaker headers are generally four pins. The speaker enable jumper should be two pins and set by default - perhaps it's a dual-row header.

Found the problem. Embarrassing error on my part, which I won't go into here.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Forgot the CPU power?

Dice

Wizard
Good stuff!

Stux

MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.