X10SL7-F SSD Options for boot/swap drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering switching to a boot SSD from mirrored USB flash drives. I expect this to yield increased possibly reliability of the boot drive, and allow putting the system swap on the boot SSD, thus avoiding the problem of system failing due to loss of swap after a drive failure.

I've got a Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard, with 16GB RAM and six data drives (I expect to eventually rework the configuration to use 10 data drives). If I understand correctly, my only option is a SATA DOM. Is this correct? If so, which SATA DOM is recommended? I'm thinking I would want a 64GB of capacity for the SSD (assuming I eventually increase the RAM to 32GB, in which case a 32 GB SSD might be a bit small). Comments?

Arwen

MVP
I own both 32GB and 64GB SuperMicro SATA DOMs. The first is used as a mirror for my FreeNAS Mini
boot device, and the second used as an OS mirror for my Linux desktop. They seem to work well, though
pricing was higher than other vendors. Both can take advantage of 6Gbps SATA ports, though the SuperMicro
16GB SATA DOM is specified as slower.

The system board you list seems to have a power connection for one SATA DOM. But the picture also
seems to indicate that the SATA ports are all together, meaning if you need the adjacent SATA port, your
SATA DOM may need an extension cable. Could be wrong, since I-SATA1 seems to be off-set.

Some people here think sharing the boot device is problematic. My opinion is that if it's a SATA DOM or
regular SATA SSD, then there should be no issues. Thus, I moved my FreeNAS Mini's system dataset
from my main Zpool to my boot Zpool. And I may eventually move my swap to it like you want to do.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I'm considering switching to a boot SSD from mirrored USB flash drives. I expect this to yield increased possibly reliability of the boot drive, and allow putting the system swap on the boot SSD, thus avoiding the problem of system failing due to loss of swap after a drive failure.

I've got a Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard, with 16GB RAM and six data drives (I expect to eventually rework the configuration to use 10 data drives). If I understand correctly, my only option is a SATA DOM. Is this correct? If so, which SATA DOM is recommended? I'm thinking I would want a 64GB of capacity for the SSD (assuming I eventually increase the RAM to 32GB, in which case a 32 GB SSD might be a bit small). Comments?
FWIW, I own an X10SL7-F and like it a lot.

Why do you see a SATA DOM as your only option?

These boards have plenty of SATA ports: 2 x SATA3 and 4 x SATA2 on the board itself plus 8 x SATA3 ports from the built-in LSI SAS2308. So you have a total of 10 x SATA3 ports and 4 x SATA2 ports.

Why not just install FreeNAS mirrored to a pair of small, reliable SSDs on two of the slower SATA2 ports? A pair of 80GB Intel DC S3500 SSDs would be perfect for this.

FreeNAS doesn't need blazing speed from its boot disk and would be perfectly content running at SATA 2 speeds. And this would leave all 10 of your faster 6Gb/s ports for the 10 data drives you plan on using.

Why do you see a SATA DOM as your only option?

My original statement reflects my complete lack of experience building systems with SSDs. I'll check out the 80GB Intel DC S3500.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
My original statement reflects my complete lack of experience building systems with SSDs. I'll check out the 80GB Intel DC S3500
Um, I didn't intend to come off so snarky. I asked because I was genuinely curious. :)

The S3500 is just a suggestion, of course. There are quite a few choices in the 64-128GB range, any of which would suit your purpose well.

Good luck!

Um, I didn't intend to come off so snarky. I asked because I was genuinely curious. :)

The S3500 is just a suggestion, of course. There are quite a few choices in the 64-128GB range, any of which would suit your purpose well.

Good luck!
Don't worry, I didn't take it as snarky. And if it was snarky, I would have deserved it for not doing a bit of research on SSDs before posting my question.

The Intel S3500s look like great drives, but if I go with mirrored SSDs, I might look at cheaper options.

Status
Not open for further replies.