write speed

garyn_87048

Dabbler
I'm curious what read and write speeds I might expect to see on my home system? Does the freeNAS community happen to have a recommended testing technique (or testing software) for apple-to-apple comparison across the community? The freeNAS hardware is described in my profile and I'm currently running version FreeNAS-11.3-U1.

When I transfer large files (~100GB archive) from local W7 systems (I have two systems that do these transfers), I see a sustained transfer rates of about 30MB/s. The transfer runs for several hours over night.

I hunted on this forum for a FAQ for tracking down performance issues and I apologize if I missed it! I got lots of hits for "write speed".

It feels like this is a multi-part problem: determine the read speed, the network speed, and the write speed.

Thank you!

Pitfrr

Wizard
I have a similar system with a C2750 and I'm getting around 80-100MB/s on a gigabit network.

To check the network speed you can use iperf, works very good.
I also use the graphs provided in FreeNAS (still 9.10.x here but I suppose you find the same in 11.3).
For write and read speed, I test with some large files.

The transfer runs for several hours over night.
I suppose you're talking about several 100GB files, not only one?

MikeyG

Patron
As you mentioned, this is a multi part problem. I would recommend posting numbers for pool speed tests to eliminate the possibility of a network issue. I usually use dd to write a 100GB file on a dataset with compression turned off, but there are multiple ways to do it. If you search around you should be able to find the exact instructions for testing.